Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

4 Helioses 44-2 compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: 4 Helioses 44-2 compared Reply with quote

hi all,

while going full pokemon on helioses (gotta catch'em all) I have decided to compare some of them. well one model of them the 44-2.

lenses used: KMZ #N009xxxx, MMZ #738xxxx, JOV #871xxxxx, BeLOMO #883xxxx

some notes:
KMZ and JOV are similar. both have slightly bigger contrast then others
MMZ and BeLOMO have more smooth bokeh while BeLOMO is way sharper
KMZ seems to be the sharpest while MMZ the softest
JOV have most vivid colors while MMZ the least
all are unique Very Happy

I have no idea wheather the differences are caused by good/bad copy but there are defenetly some.

hope someone will find this usefull

The gang

KMZ

MMZ

JOV

BeLOMO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Well done. Which Helios is the "JOV"?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Like 1 Well done. Which Helios is the "JOV"?

its the second one from the right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOV (Valdai)

http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1208-helios-44-2-58mm-f-2-16-jov

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/logos/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test. When I tested my Helios lenses, it was very close with the 44-2 KMZ as the best one. The exception was the 44M-7 that had a smaller part in the center that was sharp, the edges were more unsharp then the other ones.

Helios 44-2 KMZ
Helios 44-2 Valdai
Helios 44M..
Helios 44M-4
Helios 44M-7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the test.
I have tried many different Helios 44-2 and 44M lenses and found all to be good to quite good.
I did not need so many and decided to test mine and keep only one.
I must note that mine were a mix of 44M-2 and other types.
However, the one that I kept was the Helios 44M-6 also from Valdai
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried and carefully test a lot (really, a lot...) of Helios-44s for sales...i have a lot of tests here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/60427575@N08/albums but i did not mention factories on each one, only serial...
From my experience :
- Old silver KMZ are the best, more consistant quality, great colors and nice contrast. They are not the sharpest but overall results are always better to my eyes.
- Old zebra or glossy MMZ are nice too but you'll have to keep an eye on low contrast ones
- KMZ seems to be the factory with the better quality rate, somehting like 6 or 7 out of 10 are just nice, sharp and contrasted, even from the 70s
- Valdai 44-2 are more difficult to choose, i experienced a period when i was receiving random ones and only 2 out of 10 were acceptable, you'll find a lot of tests on my flickr showing very low contrast on those and just average sharpness...
- Same thing on 44M, i just don't buy them anymore, too much garbage even on mint ones
- Most 44M4 are similar to an average 44-2 but i prefer the 44-2 mechanics, easier to clean
- M6 and 7 are often sharper and quality is 9/10 consistant, i don't like them because this is not what i ask to a 44 (and coating is too hard to play with) but it's a good choice to find a sharp lens.

When i was listing a lot of those, people didn't understand why some were just cheap and others very expensive for a 44-2...but when you know and experience the huge difference of quality you can find on those it's just obvious.
You can buy a random eBay lens (now at 30$....) and try to find a nice looking KMZ but you still have a good chance to have a real crappy lens.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 58/2 44-M. Mine is a very capable performer. I'm curious -- what's the difference between the 44-2 and the 44-M?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have the 58/2 44-M. Mine is a very capable performer. I'm curious -- what's the difference between the 44-2 and the 44-M?

Optics are the same, formula is always the same...so same 2/10 chance (again, to my experience) to have a low contrast/sharpness item...seems not to be better in KMZ factory on 44M, don't know why; maybe production was at max rate and quality control has suffered from this...
Mechanic is more complex with an aperture control and different helicoid construction.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the Helios silver 13 blades compare to these?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Can the Helios silver 13 blades compare to these?

Same as the old silver ones with 8 blades, not the sharpest ones but very nice with contrast and colors. Those are my prefered, very strong 44 feeling with them. Those for Start seems to be upon the mass but very difficult to adapt...