Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3M-6A 500mm f/6.3 mirror lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: 3M-6A 500mm f/6.3 mirror lens. Reply with quote

Look at this lens, pretty fast and sharp isn't it ?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look interesting. I always wanted to buy myslef this kind of lens. But in Bulgaria they are really hard to find.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures. Hi I am newby here from Bangkok. I've read that mirror zoom lens is not as good as normal lens on bokey quality. Is it true. In what case should I pick mirror lense over glass?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome BigMango! Thank you for joining us!

Quote:
I've read that mirror zoom lens is not as good as normal lens on bokey quality. Is it true. In what case should I pick mirror lense over glass?

This lenses are prime lenses, not zooms. They have one single focal length.
Why you pickup mirror lens over the glass ?

1) In same quality group, mirror lenses are much, much cheaper than glass.
I am not talking about crap, cheap glasses, I am talking about very expensive super telephoto lenses like Canon 500mm f/4 glass.
2) Weight, possible to shoot them from handheld fine. With a heavy huge glass that is not possible.
3) Mirror lenses are small, easy to transport etc.

Finally I suggest you some excellent mirror lenses.

1) 3M-6A 500mm f/6.3
2) 3M-5CA 500mm f/8
3) Tamron SP 500mm f/8

This lenses are cheap and they are excellent both in optical and built quality.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. I notice people in this room are diverse and very friendly. I have just started with DSLR with Oly E500. Came accross MF lenses and picked up Nikor Micro 55mm f 1:2.8 & SMC Takuma 50 mm f 1:1.4 and fell in love with MF.

Re mirror lens, What about bokey vs. glass lens?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group, bigmango, and thanks for joining!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Orio

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigmango wrote:
Thanks Attila. I notice people in this room are diverse and very friendly. I have just started with DSLR with Oly E500. Came accross MF lenses and picked up Nikor Micro 55mm f 1:2.8 & SMC Takuma 50 mm f 1:1.4 and fell in love with MF.

Re mirror lens, What about bokey vs. glass lens?
Thanks

Both of your lenses are excellent you got one of the best ones so no surprise about you feel.

If you want beautiful bokeh you can't get acceptable result with mirror lenses, but you able to modify the doughnuts in Photoshop. I use for my mirror lens for animal portraits they faces fill the full area I don't left space for ugly bokeh Smile Another possible choice old easy weight glass lenses like Novoflex
400mm f/5.6
I not recommend heavy glasses or cheap ones like many crap Japanese 500mm f/8 "kinder" telephoto glasses.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the lens (I mean the 6,3/500), looks like a very good one although I rarely use it. I have not much use for such long lenses.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have the lens (I mean the 6,3/500), looks like a very good one although I rarely use it. I have not much use for such long lenses.

Perhaps we will swap Smile if you don't mind.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Orio wrote:

Perhaps we will swap Smile if you don't mind.

Maybe we can swap something else? Smile I have a feeling for this lens, because it's one of the very first lenses that I bought, and I have memories with it of some past happy time. It's the reason why I have not sold it yet - like my first zoom, the Sigma Delta 55-200, which I always think to sell and I never sell because I have memories with it, it is my first reflex lens and I took some very dear pictures with it. I am a sentimental Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sentimental too, I understood well, no problem. I will look forward this lens on Ebay or local source.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila, for your recommendation.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, bigmango!

I almost have missed that we have a new lens fan in here!
Welcome to this bunch of crazy people who use old lenses at their new digital cameras and like it!
Just kidding, nobody is crazy, we only are very individual. Wink
But I have to warn you, it can be dangerous to spend time here. The GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) is highly contagious. Wink

Now, seriously, this is a very nice forum with great guys (and one talented girl). You will like it here a lot!

Carsten

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Now, seriously, this is a very nice forum with great guys (and one talented girl). You will like it here a lot!

Carsten

Thank you twice... once for the talented and then for "girl" Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this lens is going to fit my Pentax K100D body? Because I know mirror lenses have great diameter.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know I know it is fit for all Olympus , and not fit for Nikon D50, because adapter is thin and diameter is large you will have problem with built-in flash. On Nikon D50 I used a small extension ring to get proper distance from flash.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqwall wrote:
Is this lens is going to fit my Pentax K100D body? Because I know mirror lenses have great diameter.

Hi sqwall. My guess is this lens, like virtually all Russian lenses, is M42 mount - the current 3M-5CA 8/500 http://tinyurl.com/3447e2 is definitely M42. To fit this lens on a Pentax bayonet camera you will need a ring adapter like this:

Click here to see on Ebay

M42 and Pentax K mount have the same register distance, so the adapter has to be flush with the mounting plate on the camera in order to focus on infinity. There is a different type of M42 to Pentax adapter with a flange, but this prevents infinity focus.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
sqwall wrote:

Hi sqwall. My guess is this lens, like virtually all Russian lenses, is M42 mount

My copy of the 6.3/500 has a Nikon mount, however.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
peterqd wrote:
sqwall wrote:

Hi sqwall. My guess is this lens, like virtually all Russian lenses, is M42 mount

My copy of the 6.3/500 has a Nikon mount, however.

Orio! Why do you buy Russian lenses with Nikon mounts? They're very rare and so more expensive I would expect.

You have to agree most Russian lenses are M42, that's why I said "virtually" all Russian lenses. I have this sort of theory that only one Russian factory (Zavod Arsenal I think, but it could be MMZ) was given the task of producing Nikon-mount lenses. All the others made only M42. Does this tie up with your 3M-6C?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you didn't understand the original question, question was about lens diameter what is fairly large and you can't mount on every camera even if you has right adapter.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Orio! Why do you buy Russian lenses with Nikon mounts? They're very rare and so more expensive I would expect.

I bough this lens a LONG time ago, shortly after I bought the FM2.
I wanted some lenses and I could not afford the Nikkors.
That is when I also bought the MIR-24N and the Kaleinar 2.8/100
And also another lens which I think it was Russian, but I can not remember the name... it was a 100mm f/2, and there was also I think a 135mm f/2... these two lenses were stolen from me about 10 years ago.

The russian lenses with Nikkor mount were not rare here. They were actually more diffused that the M42 versions, because here, contrary to most Western Europe, Nikon was the most diffused brand. The M42 cameras have always been, here, a definite minority.

peterqd wrote:

You have to agree most Russian lenses are M42, that's why I said "virtually" all Russian lenses. I have this sort of theory that only one Russian factory (Zavod Arsenal I think, but it could be MMZ) was given the task of producing Nikon-mount lenses. All the others made only M42. Does this tie up with your 3M-6C?

my lens is called 3M-6A 6.3/500, and it was made by Lytkarino, so I'm afraid your theory about the russians with nikkor mount isn't always valid (although it's true that most of the times it was Arsenal to produce the lenses with the Nikkor mount).

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I guess you didn't understand the original question, question was about lens diameter what is fairly large and you can't mount on every camera even if you has right adapter.

Ah I see. You mean the lens might not fit because of the projecting flash housing! I don't know, sorry.