Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3M-5CA 500/8 - First Image
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: 3M-5CA 500/8 - First Image Reply with quote

Here is a test shoot of the 3M-5CA that I acquired from our own Attila.

I am VERY happy with the lens.

I'm showing here a full crop off the extreme right hand side of the image. This is MUCH better than I would have expected from a 500mm mirror lens. Taking into account that the tree with the trail marker was about 100 meters distant, and that I did not have my heavier tripod, this is pretty darn good! Also, my scanner is NOT very good with 35mm print film.

The color is true to the scene; the sun was going down over the horizon and casting the yellowish colors.

Beach Trail Marker - Full Size Crop

3M-5CA 500/8

Here is the full image reduced down to printing size / resolution. I gave it one gentle pass of Unsharp Mask at 37/1/0, and that was it. The sign is naturally faded. Notice the rivet or nail head in the sign - very clear. Notice also the sword ferns at lower left; they were not so affected by the breeze and are quite sharp, especially considering their position in the frame!

This is a keeper lens! And this is actually not a superior image for a test, as it is taken with a slight breeze and on the inferior tripod. I'll be scanning some more images in better conditions, and will continue them on this thread so it will be easy to reference.

Beach Trail Marker

3M-5CA 500/8
f:8 @ 1/60th
Ferranio print film ASA200

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you will have sunny weather with some nice animals to show this lens power. Not many 500mm lens has better performance than this lens have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lens on my probable acquisition list thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know whether it will clear larger pentaprisms e.g. D200s?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has large diameter it clear Nikon D50 I had to use a small extension ring to use on D50.I still not sure about D200, because D200 is a larger cam.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I hope you will have sunny weather with some nice animals to show this lens power. Not many 500mm lens has better performance than this lens have.

I sure will, Attila! As I indicated, this is simply a "first image" and under less than ideal conditions. I am gratified that it even came out as well as it did!

I am anxious to try in the rain forest, albeit in the sunnier areas, with either elk or bears.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears wow! Take care! I won't read in news paper your challenge Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and use this lens . Tips and tricks : sunshade of ta?r-3 is same diameter and very convenient (shock-proof rubber) , if you own the foto-sniper, you can use it , and then you'll see the difference ... A little under my Pentacon 5,6/500 only in definition . warm tones and good contrast . The pentacon 500 remains in the showcase , the 3M5CA in the camera bag .... One of the bests "Cat" 500 mm ... Congrats .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Bears wow! Take care! I won't read in news paper your challenge Smile

Interestingly, I've never had a problem with bears. There is a large bear population in the west-side valleys on the Olympic penisula, within the protection of the National Park.

Over the years, I'm sure I've encountered maybe more than one hundred bears. Two or three times, I was suddenly between the mother and her cubs. In all cases, the cubs went up a tree, and the mother backed away from me, keeping her eye on me of course. Wink

In the alpine areas in September and October, the bears are EVERYWHERE on the meadowed mountainsides, gorging on Dwarf Mountain Blueberries (Vaccinium deliciosum) to gain the sugars that will convert to fats over the hibernation period.

Anyway, with usage of common sense, and with no sudden movements if the encounter is very close -- no problems. They don't want a "fight" any more than I do! But, I'll confess to ALWAYS having my adrenalin increase no matter what. They ARE a big strong animal, and they look even BIGGER when you encounter them on their turf! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence , I'm not sure that under these circumstances - bears - I would'nt prefer to have a 375 H&H focal length in my bag ... Mr. Green
Sorry , I have nothing against any animal . It is only a bad joke, isn't it ? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
There is a large bear population in the west-side valleys on the Olympic penisula

Laurence: I am beginning to reconsider the 2010 trip! Laughing
-