Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D with Contax 35/1.4 on Sony A7Rii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: 3D with Contax 35/1.4 on Sony A7Rii Reply with quote

What do you think? Does this lens have the 3D effect that everyone is raving about?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POP! Looks like to me.

Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but this kind of lens with high microcontrast at the plane of sharp focus, ugly bokeh and strong longitudinal chromatic aberration is not my cup of tea... But I understand others might like this kind of rendering!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Sorry but this kind of lens with high microcontrast at the plane of sharp focus, ugly bokeh and strong longitudinal chromatic aberration is not my cup of tea... But I understand others might like this kind of rendering!

Cheers!

Abbazz

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, for me there is no "3D effect" at all. Either it is 3D (two pictures captured with two lenses) and viewed accordingly or it's not. IMHO there is nothing like a "3D effect" in existence.

Abbazz wrote:
Sorry but this kind of lens with high microcontrast at the plane of sharp focus, ugly bokeh and strong longitudinal chromatic aberration is not my cup of tea...

Fully agree.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one has really good pop. The last two probably need f/2.8 or f/4 to shine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

I wouldn't write/say it in such a drastic way, but i never really liked the 1.4/35mm lenses. Until the appearance of the Sigma 1.4/35mm they had a quite low overall performance, even stopped down to f5.6 (e. g. Nikkor 1.4/35mm, Minolta AF 1.4/35mm and Zeiss CY 1.4/35mm). In addition the bokeh usually isn't that nice. And i prefer the 55-58mm range or the 20mm range over the 35mm / 28mm ...

That said, i must admit that i've taken a few quite nice shots with the Minolta/Sony AF 1.4/35mm in bars and restaurants: Shooting portraits wide open (distance of about 0.8 - 1 m) "dissolves" the background very smoothly. The bokeh of the Minolta/Sony AF 1.4/35mm is very good at shorter distances!

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

That said, i must admit that i've taken a few quite nice shots with the Minolta/Sony AF 1.4/35mm in bars and restaurants: Shooting portraits wide open (distance of about 0.8 - 1 m) "dissolves" the background very smoothly.
Nighttime/indoors-situations are exactly why I'm considering either a pre-apsherical Summilux-M 35 or the CV 1.2/40. Currently investigating which focal length suits me best. The Leitz has some glow wide open, which is a matter of taste, but has the distinct advantage of not having any focus shift. I'm not sure about the CV 1.2/40 but the 1.4 35&40 are notorious for their focus shift.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not 3D,no pop and distracting background......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely no fan of the bokeh myself but why the attitude folks?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
why the attitude folks?

just jealousy Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:

I am sorry for the misunderstanding but I thought that your original post ("What do you think?") was intended to gather opinions about this lens. I had no intention to hurt your feelings.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Pontus wrote:

I am sorry for the misunderstanding but I thought that your original post ("What do you think?") was intended to gather opinions about this lens. I had no intention to hurt your feelings.

Cheers!

Abbazz

I appreciate your input and I was asking for honest opinions. My feelings were not hurt by you or anyone else. But if you read the comments I'm sure that you can sense the negativity. This general hostility that creeps up from time to time on this forum is why I left a couple of years ago. Not much has changed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, these are good examples of good 3D depth. What apertures did you use?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

folderholder wrote:
For me, these are good examples of good 3D depth. What apertures did you use?

All were taken at f1.4