Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D printing - Print your own mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: 3D printing - Print your own mount? Reply with quote

I've been hearing about people using a 3D printer to print out a mount.

This sounds incredible, especially for lenses that use hard to find adapters even if they exist.

Does anyone know where they get the cad files for this purpose?

Sounds like a great solution for small runs for rare lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably reverse engineer and draw their own files.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D printing - Print your own mount? Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:

This sounds incredible, especially for lenses that use hard to find adapters even if they exist.

It does, but they would be best made of metal, can you 'print' in materials matching its strength and durability?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound idea!, I've heard a lot of noise about 3D printing, but so far it's the first time I see a consistent proposal.
It could ve really useful to check adapters before building them in more solid materials.
Just for occasional usage, a plastic mount should'nt be a problem. Many modern lenses are made of plastic, mount included....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D metal printing is possible but they are not commercialized yet.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/143552-3d-printing-with-metal-the-final-frontier-of-additive-manufacturing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Kiev 10 adapter.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:137540

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D printing - Print your own mount? Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
JohnBar wrote:

It does, but they would be best made of metal, can you 'print' in materials matching its strength and durability?

Plastic may be OK for occasional use with a small lens. If someone could do a cheap helicoid adaptor to improve close focus that might be worth having. Ultimately 3D printed objects will cost a few pence, and available at a local print shop.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a clay mold could be made from the plastic 3D printout, then smelt a few alu coke cans to fill the mold and finish off with a dremel?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have a plastic positive, nothing prevents you from building a negative from it with chalk, then
go to a foundry and have them make an aluminium positive.
Sure, the whole process will not be exactly reasonable cost-wise Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently people are making guns with 3D printers, so the materials must be good.

To make your own castings the lost wax process is the easiest, you make an exact wax model then encase that in either sand or plaster then the molten metal is poured in and the wax evaporates ( that's the simple version Wink ) There is a lot of information on the internet. The bottom line is, how good a wax model can you make?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is somthing I have also thought about. I just don't know about the quality and reliability of the material.
And the CAD-files and the printing would have to be extremely precise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine buys the machine tools for a major international company that makes precision parts for electro-mechanical equipment. On this guys word the company spends millions of euros.
He was showing me the literature and telling me about a CAD machine that he'd seen at at a trade show, he was buying 6 of them for for money we can only dream about. Anyway, the machine had a large tablet screen a bit like the Wacom that he drew a series of freehand sketches of the component, the machine then put in dimension lines and asked for dimensions, which he entered on a keyboard. The component he drew was basically a cube of about 15mm with something different on each face, a hole drilled at an angle, a slot, or something. This took him maybe ten minutes.
He hit 'Enter' and the machine started to spit the components at about one a second. Machined perfectly with no sharp edges and dimensionally perfect. The machine measures the tools each time and adjusts them accordingly.
With machines like this it is easier, and way cheaper, to machine components from solid bar rather than cast a rough piece then machine it to size.
The problem is, these machines that could spit out converters in seconds cost millions, so it's only the huge industries that can justify using them - the motor and consumer goods industries. But before long the price will come down, and the far Eastern manufacturers will buy them for making the short run, limited market stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The problem is, these machines that could spit out converters in seconds cost millions, so it's only the huge industries that can justify using them - the motor and consumer goods industries. But before long the price will come down, and the far Eastern manufacturers will buy them for making the short run, limited market stuff.

I just went back to work in an aircraft plant I left several years ago. In that time they added several new CNC machines for a new project, then the project was cancelled. Now they actively seek outside work to keep the machines earning money. I speculate the adapter makers we buy from are having their wares made the same way. Find a shop that has time available for short run components.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Apparently people are making guns with 3D printers, so the materials must be good.

To make your own castings the lost wax process is the easiest, you make an exact wax model then encase that in either sand or plaster then the molten metal is poured in and the wax evaporates ( that's the simple version Wink ) There is a lot of information on the internet. The bottom line is, how good a wax model can you make?

I was a dental technician and I can make a pretty good wax model, but making a model for adapters would require really precise stone- plaster moulds of the original bayonets to work round. The wax doesnt evaporate, its heated up, melts and forced out of a sprue. The molten metal has to be forced into the mould usually by centrifugal force.

A machine printed model in wax would be ideal, it would just need embedding in plaster. I wonder if dental techs are using them yet?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While two years is a lot regarding new technologies I'd like to resurrect this topic. Could you suggest 3D printer that would be suitable and affordable for direct adapters making? Any experience?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at it recently - I was interested in the possibility of making small parts for repair/conversion. As far as I can tell, the quality is still not there and if I were dead set on going into it I'd still consider a tabletop milling machine first, and hobbyist CNC machine second.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict Aldi or Lidl will have 3d printers in store by 2017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
While two years is a lot regarding new technologies I'd like to resurrect this topic. Could you suggest 3D printer that would be suitable and affordable for direct adapters making? Any experience?

hello ,

it s a very good idea to resurrect this post

i'm interested in this process

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I predict Aldi or Lidl will have 3d printers in store by 2017

You are probably correct but I think that budget priced hi-res ABS printers will take a bit more time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know this thread about 3D printing - with some experiences, I think Goldmark has used his printer now too:
http://forum.mflenses.com/usage-of-3d-printer-making-diy-stuff-for-old-lenses-t68854.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Jure, you have in Zagreb firm HG Spot where you can have 3D item printed, and also you can buy 3D printer and filaments
https://www.hgshop.hr/shop.aspx?external_pk=1-10-001

also here:
https://www.likefigures.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi colleagues,
I''ve been quite busy since past February, (just after retirement) pushing all the pending housekeeping jobs that were waiting in the queue. So not too much time for photography, forums, internet, etc.
Now I'm still busy, but with some targets reached, I'm opening some holes in my agenda to get back to some photography.
One of the things I've been keeping ongoing has been my 3D printing projects. I've built two Powercode printers. I use one of them for PLA printing and the other for ABS. These printers come from the RepRap movement. They are an evolution of Josef Prusa's Prusa-I3. I'm also in the process of building a Delta printer loosely based on the RichRap 3DR. Delta printers have some advantages (faster) but they do need finer adjustments. I think they could be useful for lenses and adapters because their cylindrical shape.
I'm also in the process of learning CAD programs to build the models. I started with TinkerCAD, and later on started to learn FreeCAD, Sketchup and SCAD.
By now and regarding photography I can just print some 3D lens caps. I've tried some adapters (with little success). I need a deeper CAD knowledge, CAD design is very time consuming and quite difficult. It needs lots of practice.
Hope to drop by more often from now on.
Kind regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us more Jes, and be sure to keep us informed of your progress, and even your failures. This is a process that is as fascinating as it is useful and I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to explore the possibilities.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Tell us more Jes, and be sure to keep us informed of your progress, and even your failures. This is a process that is as fascinating as it is useful and I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to explore the possibilities.

For sure I´ll do. I disregarded this technology a few years ago, because the poor results at that time. It was a big mistake from my side. Now I am far behind and needing a considerable effort to get up to date...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 3D printing - Print your own mount? Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:

Most commercial 3D printers of today have very poor resolution and surface quality, which can seriously impact your images for wider focal lengths. This may change in the future, but I wouldn't 3D print a mount yet. Stick with CNC machined mounts ...