Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"3D" effect?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A7 and Jupiter 3 (RF/M39)



PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice shots...but I think there is confusion between pop and 3d....Orio nailed it a while back when he said the picture should show 3d in depth....or I suppose in other words "pop in depth"


PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across with this, thought it might be interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5febma4_OE

One lens that I have that has good 3D is the OM Zuiko 100mm f2 and I think it is because of these things:
- tack sharp
- field curvature (makes is very difficult to focus, the dof it thinner than one might expect)
- great colors and micro-contrast

I had the OM Zuiko 90mm f2 Macro as well and it had great separation but with a flatter focus curve so maybe it was more 'pop' than '3D'.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging out an old thread...

I guess that medium format also helps with "3D".







Lens: Vega-12 2.8/90
Camera: Pentax 645
Film: Kodak Portra 160


PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartsen wrote:
I guess that medium format also helps with "3D"

impressive indeed Surprised


PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Cartsen wrote:
I guess that medium format also helps with "3D"

impressive indeed Surprised

+1 Smile


PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photo I took with a CV Heliar 4.5/15 on a NEX5n yesterday produced an surprising and weird 3D effect.
Look at the blue table, I hope that not only on my monitor it looks as if floating above the image plane.
Can anybody explain what's going on here, what causes this 'optical illusion'?



possibly seen better when viewed bigger: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/18524500950/sizes/k/


PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
A photo I took with a CV Heliar 4.5/15 on a NEX5n yesterday produced an surprising and weird 3D effect.
Look at the blue table, I hope that not only on my monitor it looks as if floating above the image plane.
Can anybody explain what's going on here, what causes this 'optical illusion'?


Some bottles of beer? Laughing

Seriously, I don't know as everybody is reacting somehow different on the optical information received from the eyes. The real picture is happening in our brain based on "stored data" out of experience. Finally, what you are seeing may be different from what I am seeing, although we are looking at the same picture. That's psychology. Wink


PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
kuuan wrote:
A photo I took with a CV Heliar 4.5/15 on a NEX5n yesterday produced an surprising and weird 3D effect.
Look at the blue table, I hope that not only on my monitor it looks as if floating above the image plane.
Can anybody explain what's going on here, what causes this 'optical illusion'?


Some bottles of beer? Laughing

Seriously, I don't know as everybody is reacting somehow different on the optical information received from the eyes. The real picture is happening in our brain based on "stored data" out of experience. Finally, what you are seeing may be different from what I am seeing, although we are looking at the same picture. That's psychology. Wink


right, but do you also see the blue table as if floating, or don't you?
in case most of us do, isn't it surprising and amazing, and wouldn't it make one wonder why? I wonder why and if knowing could teach me something relevant to photography, or what the causal chain of human perception is, if you so want, that makes this happen


Last edited by kuuan on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total


PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
tb_a wrote:
kuuan wrote:
A photo I took with a CV Heliar 4.5/15 on a NEX5n yesterday produced an surprising and weird 3D effect.
Look at the blue table, I hope that not only on my monitor it looks as if floating above the image plane.
Can anybody explain what's going on here, what causes this 'optical illusion'?


Some bottles of beer? Laughing

Seriously, I don't know as everybody is reacting somehow different on the optical information received from the eyes. The real picture is happening in our brain based on "stored data" out of experience. Finally, what you are seeing may be different from what I am seeing, although we are looking at the same picture. That's psychology. Wink


right, but do you also see the blue table as if floating, or don;t you?
and if most of us do, what might be the cause?


Actually nothing is floating for me, sorry.

The explanation is already given. It's how our brain is compiling the picture. There are some optical illusions which are likely to happen to all of us and some of them only to a limited number of humans. There are also some psychological tests which are based on this phenomena. It's very interesting anyway. Wink
Our acoustical perception is even more difficult and different as there are more regions of the brain involved than for the (in comparison) relatively simple "compilation" of pictures.
That's also the main basic principle how "Illusionists" are working. It's not very difficult to cheat our brains.


PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

Actually nothing is floating for me, sorry.

The explanation is already given. It's how our brain is compiling the picture. There are some optical illusions which are likely to happen to all of us and some of them only to a limited number of humans. There are also some psychological tests which are based on this phenomena. It's very interesting anyway. Wink
Our acoustical perception is even more difficult and different as there are more regions of the brain involved than for the (in comparison) relatively simple "compilation" of pictures.
That's also the main basic principle how "Illusionists" are working. It's not very difficult to cheat our brains.


oh, it doesn't do it for you, this is interesting. Nothing to be sorry about, for others it does, otherwhere I got the response, quote: "Levitation at its Best ... "
So my first question remains, is it mostly me or the majority of viewers that see a 3D effect that is so surprising and stunning that one immediately is aware that one's perception is being tricked? and secondly: why, what is responsible for creating this illusion?
Yes perception is individual and it can be tricked easily, but that doesn't give any answer or theory to what actually is going on here


PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
tb_a wrote:

Actually nothing is floating for me, sorry.

The explanation is already given. It's how our brain is compiling the picture. There are some optical illusions which are likely to happen to all of us and some of them only to a limited number of humans. There are also some psychological tests which are based on this phenomena. It's very interesting anyway. Wink
Our acoustical perception is even more difficult and different as there are more regions of the brain involved than for the (in comparison) relatively simple "compilation" of pictures.
That's also the main basic principle how "Illusionists" are working. It's not very difficult to cheat our brains.


oh, it doesn't do it for you, this is interesting. Nothing to be sorry about, for others it does, otherwhere I got the response, quote: "Levitation at its Best ... "
So my first question remains, is it mostly me or the majority of viewers that see a 3D effect that is so surprising and stunning that one immediately is aware that one's perception is being tricked? and secondly: why, what is responsible for creating this illusion?
Yes perception is individual and it can be tricked easily, but that doesn't give any answer or theory to what actually is going on here


You give me hard times to explain such scientific phenomena in English.
Compromise: I'll send you a PM in German and you can (if you like) translate it for the rest. Wink


PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if I can and will translate, but please do send me the document, Thomas

edit: someone just told me that the effect only might be there when using reading glasses! Without using my glasses the image is that much blurred that it is difficult to tell, but I think that he is right.
So: this 3D / floating effect seems to happen only when viewing the image with reading glasses, which of course again raises the question as to why this is so


PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
don't know if I can and will translate, but please do send me the document, Thomas

edit: someone just told me that the effect only might be there when using reading glasses! Without using my glasses the image is that much blurred that it is difficult to tell, but I think that he is right.
So: this 3D / floating effect seems to happen only when viewing the image with reading glasses, which of course again raises the question as to why this is so


PM sent.


PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a lot of search about this 3D effect, I will have to read all this asap =)


PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found my old Indstar-61 has something of a 3d effect. I think it is a result of bright diffused light, and a layered composition with areas of strong contrast.
Not an old MF lens, but two of the most '3d' looking images I have produced. From a Sigma 18-35 surprisingly. I have found this to be a 'flat' lens but occasionally squeezes out stellar images:

Grubs by Aaron, on Flickr

Two by Aaron, on Flickr


PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I believe there is much more in it concerning the angle of the shot, it's framing and it's perspective than the lens itself. Any fast lens can isolate the subject pretty well, specially if one chooses the background distance in a smart way.
I guess "pop" or "3D" or "the illusion that the subject is attempting to break out of the 2D world" or whatever we wanna call it, has a direct relationship with how sharp the lens is (disregarding sensor resolution, cropping, etc.) wide-open.

Maybe wide-open-sharp lenses can simulate this better than softer lenses, I can give that a thought.


PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my submission

Pentax K 35/3.5


PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1kgcoffee wrote:
I've found my old Indstar-61 has something of a 3d effect

Like 1
JohnBee wrote:
Here is my submission

Like 1


PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my "standard" image...



Carl Zeiss S-Orthoplanar 105mm @f5.6 (fully open)