Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35mm film processing in UK
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: 35mm film processing in UK Reply with quote

Hi,

At the end of November I'll be visiting my family in UK and since I have there one working film camera I'm thinking of leaving digital at home and shoot throughout the whole visit on film only. Since I'll be travelling by plane I'm anxious about putting non-developed film into risk of scanning by x-ray airport machines.
Hence the question for the British members of the forum about reliable lab in the nearby of Corby which will develop 35mm C-41 colour negatives.

Or
Maybe someone has experience about travelling with film canisters by plane and could tell that undeveloped ISO200 negative will be all right when put through airport scanning. (I was thinking about putting film canisters into separate bag to be hand checked, but since the airports security regulations turned mad I worry that they would ask me to put them through the scanner as well. After all 35mm film canister is perfect place to hide machinery of pure evil and mass destruction Wink ).

I would really appreciate your help.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been there done that Wink i have put film through security checks both developed and non developed no problem whatsoever. As for the lab I was using Boots, those are everywhere the same for Tesco or Asda and was pleased with the results. Corby you say I spent quite a few years in Northants area. Cheers and waiting for pictures

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Marcin, well... I don't know why I didn't think about asking you personally Wink, it's just slipped out of my head that you "been there done that" Very Happy
What about prices for Dev only and Dev + Scan, do you remember?

I'm thinking about developing as much rolls I could being there, but I think the last roll will end up travelling with me undeveloped.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pass on scanning as the results will be less pleasing, as for the prices hmm as far as I remember about 2.5 per roll of C-41 or about 7 or 8 with prints, check out link. More expensive for non C41 process

http://www.photo-express.co.uk/price-list.php

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get yourself one of these: Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get most developed at Large Tescos, Asda, or a good Camera shop, cost here is around £5 also if buying film poundland sell Agfa Vista 200 for £1 these shops are everywhere

If you want i am sure that a member could find some Agfa for you and post if needed at cost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Asda superstore in Corby but might need transport to get there, well the photo dept will probably still do film and depending on the operator you might get a few dust spots on the neg but hey for dev and scan to CD only, is only £3 for up to 38 frames, all in about 30mins in the weekdays maybe at weekends if they are not busy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the tips about where to develop my negatives.

It's not a problem for me getting negatives in the UK as my family lives in there.
I really like Agfa Vista Plus 200 from Poundland and I use it quite frequently, but I get 5 rolls of Portra 160VC 36exp. for £7 with postage on eBay so I thought I would give it a try as usually I was using cheap negatives like Agfa Vista, Fuji Superia or Kodak Gold.

themoleman: I must say I saw those on eBay, but I'm afraid that airport stuff would ask me to take out everything from such bag as they can't see a thing on they X-Ray Wink or, what's even worst, they could crank up the power of X-Ray machine to try get through the bag Wink.

All in all...
After reading nurkov post and some more in the web about travelling with non developed negatives without a problem I decided that I will develop as many rolls I can before leaving UK and I would put remaining one or two rolls in my hand luggage.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only half-kidding anyways. I had bought that bag as a novelty and have never used it since. I don't fly too much but I always have at least 4 rolls on me when I do. No problems so far. You'll be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a film through an x-ray 4 times with no ill effects (didn't use it the first time and it came home with me)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a link to the eBay seller of the film for £7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's guys for reassuring me about travelling with films.

As for Portra for £7 it was one time deal Eddie. The guy was selling some point&shoot film camera and was giving 5 rolls of Portra for free. I've asked and he agreed to sell me films only, since I don't need the camera Smile .

Mateusz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used peak imaging - mail order - but very reliable high quality service.

On x-rays 10 rolls of film (Delta 100, VelviaF) just completed LHR-DOH-SIN-LGK-JHB-SIN-DOH-LHR in my hand luggage. 10 x-rays in total, as several airports on that list have two scanning points. Just finished scanning them - absolutely no problems at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very good information mr-botak, that shows pretty much everything about myth of airport x-ray machines destroying negatives.

Actually I've not developed my negatives in UK, but brought them with me to my tested lab at home and of course without any problems. Those were Fuji Superia X-Tra 400 - X-rayed two times as I was taking the film with me and Kodak Portra 160VC - X-rayed once since I bought them in UK.

Cheers
Mateusz