Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3200 ISO on nex compared with DSLRs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: 3200 ISO on nex compared with DSLRs Reply with quote

Hello !
In your experience , how does it stand against the classic DSRL s at 1600 and especially 3200 ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer greatly depends on which DSLR you compare the NEXes to. If I compare a NEX3 or NEX5 with my Nikon D3 at ISO 3200 the race is as interesting as watching two turtles run against a greyhound.

You can use http://www.dxomark.com to compare high ISO performance of different cameras. For instance here, I put the NEX3 and NEX5 against the D3s and the D3s has about 3-4 f-stops of advantage compared to the NEX.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wszchz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

... I put the NEX3 and NEX5 against the D3s and the D3s has about 3-4 f-stops of advantage compared to the NEX.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wszchz

Do you mean two stops ? Low-light ISO values (as defined by DxOMark) are approximately 800 and 3200 for the NEX 3/5 and the D3s respectively. The ratio. equal to four, corresponds to two stops.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two or three probably is more close to truth yes, I browsed the comparison too casually.

Difference is significant, and would be best shown with real photos. The higher you crank native ISO (not software simulated) the bigger the differences would be. 3200 is on the upper scale, so expect difference larger than numbers would indicate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 3200 ISO on nex compared with DSLRs Reply with quote

I guess you will not be using NEX on those iso's. In my experience the result is quite tragic - ISO 800 is my upper limit.

yinyangbt wrote:
Hello !
In your experience , how does it stand against the classic DSRL s at 1600 and especially 3200 ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 3200 ISO on nex compared with DSLRs Reply with quote

std wrote:
I guess you will not be using NEX on those iso's. In my experience the result is quite tragic - ISO 800 is my upper limit.

yinyangbt wrote:
Hello !

S**t !!!!! Laughing I really need 1600 and don't mind at all 3200! Still , I have seen some samples from Sony (Yes, right it was a A 55 , OK !)that were blowing me away !
I am considering DSRLs in the APS-c gang , starting with my Canon EOS XTi / 400D (very happy with the 800 , usable 1600) , and going to the new generation of sensor/image processor of the EOS 550D, Nikon 90 ,Pentax K-x , Sony A 55
Another question : that famous twilight handheld shot mode works in Aperture priority with manual focus lenses ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends a lot on what you consider to be acceptable quality. It should certainly give equal to or better 1600 and 3200 than the 400d.

Do you shoot raw or jpeg? jpegs tend to look cleaner because they have had noise reduction applied in camera already, raw tells a different story! I would say the nex cameras are as good as current slr's such as 600d

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend not to trust dxomark too much, it sometimes seems to contradict events in real life such as ranking large sensor digital backs lower than DSLR's for colour depth etc even at low iso settings.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISO 3200 on the Nex is equivalent to the latest crop sensor Canons in my experience, which ain't bad!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:

I tend not to trust dxomark too much, it sometimes seems to contradict events in real life such as ranking large sensor digital backs lower than DSLR's for colour depth etc even at low iso settings.

Would it be just "too polite" to cite their site/copyright if you do copy from them?? Or just not your style...? Wink