Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

300mm Minolta MC Tele Rokkor - HF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: 300mm Minolta MC Tele Rokkor - HF Reply with quote

300mm f 4.5 Minolta MC Tele Rokkor - HF

Has anyone any experience of this lens?

I notice that for some reason that there are generally very few posts on rokkor lenses? Is that because some of then have an odd system where they reportedly (I know nothing of this lens) have a lug that inserts into the camera body, and whoud this make it difficult to use with an m42 adaptor?

Are there any good Rokkor lenses (58 f1.2 or f1.4 perhaps) that could be used with an adaptor or should they all be modified by addition of a different mounting bracket? Or are they just generally to be avoided?

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD lenses mostly usable only with Minolta film cameras, they have no compatible DSLR. Adapter for Olympus DSLR was very expensive 175 USD, but one of our member found a cheaper resource on Ebay that is 50 USD only. So this is the simple reason why not much info from them , they are generally going cheaper than other lenses. As far as I know almost all Minolta lenses are very, very good lens. They are on same level or sometimes above than Nikkor or Canon etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one locally to me for i think quite cheap (approx 100$)?

I am concidering trying to make an adaptor for it, but am not sure of the mechanics of the lens.

If it is a reasonable lens then perhaps it is worth the trouble as you guys have already got me hooked (grr Wink).

I would really like to try a rokkor 1.2 as they have a very good reputation, and the minolta badge will match the camera well Wink. I saw the 1.4 at the flea market last weekend but it had fungus and I was not sure if that was something curable?

tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If price is cheap (fungused) take it and store separately till you able to clean it. I tried to make custom made adapters, but I tell you better to buy from an expert hand even if expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
If price is cheap (fungused) take it and store separately till you able to clean it. I tried to make custom made adapters, but I tell you better to buy from an expert hand even if expensive.

OK, thanks for the good advice on both counts, the hand is not expert yet LOL, and i suspect that these adaptors are more stressed than the microscope adaptors that i have made so better to learn from your experience

tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Click here to see on Ebay

I see that's jinfinance. I have a couple of his OM-EOS and Tamron-EOS adapters and bloody good they are too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the link. After having experimented with a broken rokkor 50mm f1.7 it looks pretty unlikly that it will retain infinity focus, did you mangage to keep it with yours Farside? Perhaps it is possible for the Om mount but not the minolta af?

I think with a fair bit of turning on a lathe i can get one of the cheap m42 to minolta adaptors to work. But the lens does not have an infinity adjustment as far as i can see.

It looks like they actually made the lens so as it fitted together with infinity set.

I think it would be possible to turn down about 0.8 mm of the front lens assembly and add an equivilant to the rear to compensate for the thickness of the adaptor and then just screw the adaptor into the original lens base plate on the 1.7.

If the same is possible with a 300 is anybodys guess and a bit risky spending the money on the lens and then possibly finding out it is not practical.

Insedently taking the 1.7 to peices and having the iris spring out all over the place encouraged me to play with a broken 85mm f2 nikkor with a dented body and a sticky iris. Amazingly enough it now works so it looks like i have to do two lens conversions now, anyone know if the nikkor 85mm 1:2 is a nice lens?

tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpe wrote:
Thanks very much for the link. After having experimented with a broken rokkor 50mm f1.7 it looks pretty unlikly that it will retain infinity focus, did you mangage to keep it with yours Farside? Perhaps it is possible for the Om mount but not the minolta af?

According to http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm

Minolta AF bayonet 44.50
Minolta MD bayonet 43.50

Whereas the Tamron and OM are both on the 'right' side of the EOS register (which is 44mm) It's a pity, as I've looked at some Minolta MF lenses, but without infinity focus they're of limited use to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpe wrote:
Insedently taking the 1.7 to peices and having the iris spring out all over the place encouraged me to play with a broken 85mm f2 nikkor with a dented body and a sticky iris. Amazingly enough it now works so it looks like i have to do two lens conversions now, anyone know if the nikkor 85mm 1:2 is a nice lens?

tim

Very decent performer if not the stunning performance of the 1.8 and 1.4 from shots I've seen. I think there are samples in the gallery...