Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3 x Auto Chinon 55/1.7 compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: 3 x Auto Chinon 55/1.7 compared Reply with quote

OK, I accidently collected three of these things, and they all look different from the outside! So I thought I'd give them a quick test. I've tried where possible to focus on the same spot, and kept the tripod in the same place throughout. However, lens 3 kept fooling me into thinking I had the focus right, but both times I had actually focused closer than I thought. A shame for the crops, but should still give a decent idea of performance.

All shots were taken in similar lighting conditions at the same shutter speed. I used a bright background to hunt out any fringing etc.

Here are the contenders:

From the top:

Lens on the left is number 1, middle is 2 and right is 3 (leatherette no. 3 reminds me of a Tomioka Auto Chinon 55/1.4 I once had).

Wide open:

Lens 1 f1.7

Lens 2 f1.7

Lens 3 f1.7

Lens 1 crop

Lens 2 crop

Lens 3 crop

Lens 1 f4

Lens 2 f4

Lens 3 f4

Lens 1 crop

Lens 2 crop

Lens 3 crop

In summary, I think they all performed to a similar standard and probably all have the same optical formula. I prefer 1 then 3 then 2 I reckon.

Not a brilliant test, but hopefully this is of use to someone!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting!

3,1,2 for me, even if #1 is technically better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have #3 in 'Hanimar' disguise. It probably features a similar optical formula to Biotar or Helios-44 (or Helios 77) with characteristic swirly bokeh and sharpness falloff towards the edges of the frame.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek, need other photos not against the light..... or I will pick as eeyore_nl, 3 -> 1-> 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-ha!

That lens #3 which in your picture is branded a Chinon, is the exact same oddball lens I have been hunting info for. Mine is branded Auto-Flex but in all other respects looks exactly like the one you have pictured.

Cross-reference: http://forum.mflenses.com/oddball-55-1-7-auto-flex-t17995.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is lens no.3 the same lens optically as Auto Revuenon/Rikeon looking the same from outside?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good i like three the most I really rate the little chinon 1.7 for its monet bokeh can be used to great artistic effect