Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3 of my favourites, but I can handle the criticism.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: 3 of my favourites, but I can handle the criticism..... Reply with quote

Dissolution by skida, on Flickr

Unedited Version of "Dissolution" by skida, on Flickr

Unexplained Building by skida, on Flickr

Peace at Derwent Water by skida, on Flickr

All are on film as I don't have a manual focus digital camera.

Last edited by skida on Mon May 07, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 to me perfect, sharp , 3D , texture everything.
#2 don't get it why in your favorite three, please explain it!
#3 classic lake picture well done!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Attila on 1 and 3, but 2, I like it, composition is nice but it is the quality of the light that makes it for me.

1 is wonderful, congrats.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree for the most part, except
#1 sharpening? Looks a little overdone, possibly by some auto process
#2 may have benefited from a filter to reduce the light in the top half of the shot

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not an expert on composition and can only judge on what I like/dislike:-

1, VG but the sky above the arch is annoying and I would crop it out or better add a few stones with photoshop like the right side (no one would spot it Wink )
2. Don't get it, no link to the subjects Confused
3. No sparkle or life probably wrong time of the day.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The bit of missing ruin which is letting the sky show at the top left is a minor irritation for me. I tried cropping but it put the point of the arch too close to the edge and I hated it. I thought about cloning, but just couldn't bring myself to compromising integrity. I decided I like the rest of the photo too much to let it bother me.

2. It may be the memory of the day and that the photo worked just the way I wanted it to, rather than great artistic merit that made me choose it as a favourite.

3. Again, it may be a personal thing, but the photo conveyed the feeling I experienced at that location and time of day (plus, just 10 minutes earlier, I had found a Zuiko 1.8/50 in great condition at a charity shop and it was wrapped up in my pocket when I took this shot).

Thanks for the critiques so far: All valid and fair.

Last edited by skida on Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In #2 what are those buildings?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Read the title! Laughing

I have been frustrated in my research by not finding an answer I am 100% confident in, but old maps show "Air Shaft" at roughly this location in the 40s/50s. It is roughly central to 3 old coal mines and I wonder if it housed a big ventilation fan/engine. The walls look very thick and solid and my initial thought was a military purpose, but Blyth had a coastal battery and an anti aircraft battery from the wars and both are shown on all the old maps and current ones.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Read the title! Laughing

I have been frustrated in my research by not finding an answer I am 100% confident in, but old maps show "Air Shaft" at roughly this location in the 40s/50s. It is roughly central to 3 old coal mines and I wonder if it housed a big ventilation fan/engine. The walls look very thick and solid and my initial thought was a military purpose, but Blyth had a coastal battery and an anti aircraft battery from the wars and both are shown on all the old maps and current ones.

Ah Your next mission if you choose to accept is:- to get on the roof or inside the buildings and take some close up shots. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
skida wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

old maps show "Air Shaft" at roughly this location in the 40s/50s.

Ah Your next mission if you choose to accept is:- to get on the roof or inside the buildings and take some close up shots. Wink

"...and he was never seen again....."

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first shot is just outstanding to me ! I would love to see an actual print of this !

The second shot has some mystery to it but the light exceeded color films abilities in this one for me.

The third is a nice landscape ! It has nice foreground interest and is just a lovely scene. I think the film captured the light really well for such demanding conditions. I also agree a filter may have helped but with the general shape of the highlights it may have been tough to use without intruding onto the scene ? I'm not always very good with nd grads myself.

#1 is a corker for me !

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen buildings exactly the same as those mysteries one before, on old airfields at Cark, Walney and Haverigg.

They are either air-raid shelters or munitions stores, they would have been embanked with earth.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1: Gave me an immediate "back-to-Armenia" feeling Smile Lots of convents in ruins there.
The gate is offering the viewer the opportunity to enter the ruin and to engage in your photo. Nicely done.
I would cut off a small section at the upper side, just enough to remove the hole in the wall that now allows you to see the sky. It draws away the eye from the center of attention after some time, so better cut it.
The image seems to contain many artefacts: scanning, JPEG artefacts... ?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
The image seems to contain many artefacts: scanning, JPEG artefacts... ?

I have added the original lab scan version for comparison. I hope you will agree that my editing was quite subtle and an improvement.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all good and well composed in my opinion.
In #1 I think I prefer the unedited version.
I would have exposed #1 and #2 half a stop darker.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I would have exposed #1 and #2 half a stop darker.

I know you would have. Laughing