Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28mm lens test: Vivitar vs. Vivitar vs. Vivitar, Chapter One
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Some time ago I posted this comparision

Do you have a close-up comparison? Like the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS CRC which shoots well for close up but not quite so well for distances,the Vivitar 28mm f2.8 Close Focus was optimized for close up work.Also early versions didn't have the improved coatings of the later versions,because of this lens flare can also contribute to PF especially with a DSLR.I would say from the close ups posted by others and myself,the lens performs quite admirably for it's designed purpose.

One other note is smaller sensors in DSLR's are more likely to have PF then larger sensors due to smaller pixel pitch.Not all purple fringing can be attributed to chromatic aberration. Similar colored fringing around highlights may also be caused by lens flare. Colored fringing around highlights or dark regions may be due to the receptors for different colors having differing dynamic range or sensitivity -- therefore preserving detail in one or two color channels, while "blowing out" or failing to register, in the other channel or channels. On digital cameras, the particular demosaicing algorithm is likely to affect the apparent degree of this problem.

Some DSLR's,such as the Panasonic Lumix series and newer Canon & Nikon DSLRs, feature a software processing step specifically designed to remove CA (although they don't always remove CA entirely,especially when a subject has a bright harsh backgound).Also with DSLR's very small highlights may frequently appear to have chromatic aberration where in fact the effect is because the highlight image is too small to stimulate all three color pixels, and so is recorded with an incorrect color. This may not occur with all types of digital camera sensor. Again, the demosaicing algorithm may affect the apparent degree of the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know the difference between Vivitar Komine 28/2.8 and 28/2 Close Focus versions?

the 28/2.8 close focus is more common, but I'm bidding on a f/2 close focus right now on Ebay... besides the aperture, what's the difference in optical perfomance?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tracking that one too, but will leave it to you. I can only say that I've read that it's even better than the 2.8 version. I'm guessing maybe because it's sharper at 2.8 because it's already a stop down. Just speculation on my part. I'd love to have it, but have already attempted to convert a Minolta mount version and failed. Then again, I'm currently failing on a PK and OM. Good luck. Do let us know if you're successful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, you don't happen to be trying to convert a Kiron Vivitar 28mm? They have a very long focusing helix and I was able adjust it to compensate for a 5mm difference in registration distance (Konica to Pentax).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aniramca wrote:
Scheimpflug
Mine is a Nikon mount. Here are photos of the lens and samples

You're right! Aside from the mount, yours is absolutely identical to mine! Shocked

Too bad mine doesn't have the Nikon mount... the Canon mount on mine is a real pain to adapt, as it has all of the internal linkages mounted to the backside of it. Confused

You should send your photos to the people in the website that Boomer Depp mentioned. Their goal was to make a definitive list of the Vivitar 28mm lenses, and so far they don't have any listed in the Nikon F-mount. Cool

Here's Boomer Depp's post again for reference:
Boomer Depp wrote:
BTW...for those who haven't seen "The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary"

The list of Vivitar 28mm lenses so far...
http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html

...and for those who have a little extra time ....

The thread that started the Bestiary...
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34654-vivitar-28mm-fa31mm-replacement.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
anyone know the difference between Vivitar Komine 28/2.8 and 28/2 Close Focus versions?

the 28/2.8 close focus is more common, but I'm bidding on a f/2 close focus right now on Ebay... besides the aperture, what's the difference in optical perfomance?

As you'll note from the Bestiary there are two versions of the Komine 28mm f2 Close Focus Wide Angle,a 55mm and a 49mm accessory/filter ring size.

The 49mm version is a wee bit sharper then the Vivitar 28mm f2.8 Close Focus 49mm accessory size at f2.8 and f4,but hardly discernible by the naked eye....and of course it's a faster lens.

The Komine 28mm f2 55mm accessory size is a bit softer in the corners at the wide stops,doesn't have the best multicoating and has a tendency to flare,also not quite as contrasty as the later 49mm version.

Of note....The Vivitar 28mm f2 and f2.8 Close Focus in the 49mm accessory size are both sharper then the Vivitar Series 1 28mm f1.9,more contrasty with less flare and a improved multi-coating.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
aniramca wrote:
Scheimpflug
Mine is a Nikon mount. Here are photos of the lens and samples

You're right! Aside from the mount, yours is absolutely identical to mine! Shocked

Too bad mine doesn't have the Nikon mount... the Canon mount on mine is a real pain to adapt, as it has all of the internal linkages mounted to the backside of it. Confused

You should send your photos to the people in the website that Boomer Depp mentioned. Their goal was to make a definitive list of the Vivitar 28mm lenses, and so far they don't have any listed in the Nikon F-mount. Cool

The Bestiary is for Pentax M42,K lenses without the contacts for automatic aperture control by the body,KA mount with contacts for aperture control,and TX K & KA mounts without and with aperture control.

All these lenses are also available in the Nikon F,Konica and Minolta mounts.

Your version is the same as the M13 in the M42 mount, and the K14 in the K mount.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slick204 wrote:
Woodrim, you don't happen to be trying to convert a Kiron Vivitar 28mm? They have a very long focusing helix and I was able adjust it to compensate for a 5mm difference in registration distance (Konica to Pentax).

No, Slick, I've tried a few Komine Close Focus. The Minolta mount was near impossible to get apart and I managed to screw up the clicking of the aperture. It also doesn't have an removable mount that can be exchanged. I have a Fujica version as well, which is the same registration distance as Minolta, but at least has a removable mount. However, the lens barrel will need 1-2mm removed to allow the adapter mount to sit lower. I thought the OM version might be easier because of the registration distance, but there is some insanity involved with the design. With what I've spent, I could have bought an M42 version.

The focusing helix on the Kiron must be long indeed considering the short registration of the Konica.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:

Well, Ivan? Did you buy that expensive lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went over to ebay to check out the prices....unbelievable!.... the Close Focus version prices have risen dramatically....was that a 49mm or 55mm version of the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I've been tracking that one too, but will leave it to you. I can only say that I've read that it's even better than the 2.8 version. I'm guessing maybe because it's sharper at 2.8 because it's already a stop down. Just speculation on my part. I'd love to have it, but have already attempted to convert a Minolta mount version and failed. Then again, I'm currently failing on a PK and OM. Good luck. Do let us know if you're successful.

I lost it... Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Ivan Lee wrote:

Well, Ivan? Did you buy that expensive lens?

My last bit was something like U$70 and I was almost sure I would win... but I wasn't at home when the sale ended...when I got home and saw that it sold for over 100 I couldn't believe it...lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to see a comparison between the three Vivitar (28/1.9 Kiron 28/2 and Komine close focus 28/2) and Kiron brand 28/2. I have the later two but I don't trust my skill in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want a Minolta or Fujica version? The Minolta needs to be taken apart and reassembled properly after my attempt to disassemble the mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
I find the lens intriguing as well Scott,and like the saturation better then the Nikon 28mm f2.8 AI-S.....it's sharpness is also better then expected....

Woodrim is correct,the Close Focus version is different optically then the other Vivitar versions of the 28mm f2.8 lens.The Komine Close Focus 28mm f2.8 and the Komine RL Edition Close Focus are identical optically,the RL Edition had an extended six year warranty as a marketing ploy.

Is there any difference in the coating of the 2.8 and 2.0 Komine versions?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 28mm lens test: Vivitar vs. Vivitar vs. Vivitar, Chapter Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
My Vivitar collection is growing, today I made a small test with my three 28mm Vivitars, a Kiron made f2.5, a Komine made f2.8 and a Tokina made f2.8

I also threw in there a Polar 28mm f2.8 and a Minolta 28mm f2

Sorry for not making a chart with the crops side by side (I don't have Photoshop here)

and sorry again for the boring image and the overexposed sky (I thought it was nice for testing for CA)

All photos taken in a tripod, with timer, in a Lumix G1, edited on Bibble 5

Links to full samples

Vivitar (Kiron) f/2.5 --> http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5854/vivitarkiron28mmf25.jpg

Vivitar (Kiron) f/4 --> http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2718/vivitarkiron28mmf4.jpg

Vivitar (Kiron) f/5.6 --> http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3974/vivitarkiron28mmf56.jpg

Vivitar (Komine) f/2.8 --> http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/60/vivitarkomine28mmf28.jpg

Vivitar (Komine) f/4 --> http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2522/vivitarkomine28mmf4.jpg

Vivitar (Komine) f/5.6 --> http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2483/vivitarkomine28mmf56.jpg

Vivitar (Tokina) f/2.8 --> http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1923/vivitartokina28mmf28.jpg

Vivitar (Tokina) f/4 --> http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8328/vivitartokina28mmf4.jpg

Vivitar (Tokina) f/5.6 --> http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4384/vivitartokina28mmf56.jpg

continue...

Ivan, did you expose these lenses also to strong light/ sun and checked them for flare?
I would be highly interested in seeing some ghosting flare from these lenses.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who is this Vivitar F2 manufactured. The price is quite large: 170

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddus wrote:

A 22 serial number is Kino/Kiron. That price is too high. The Close Focus version can be had for less than that.

agent_cooper: I'm copyoing the following quote from the best of lenses forum to here because this is the correct forum for dicussing the lenses.
Quote:
"does anybody of you have some shots with ghosting flare produced by this lens?
I have heard it is famous for this, can anybody confirm that?
"

How do you mean famous? Yes, when pointed directly into the sun it will flare. WHile browsing though my extensive directory of pictures from this lens, I only found one situation where I shot directly into the sun. We were stiing in a massive traffic jam at the Holland Tunnel; I got bored and took a couple of pictures of my brother's disgust.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have the recently acquired Viv /Kiron 28/2.5 plus what seems to be an odd one, a Viv /Bauer 28/2.8 seen below:

Both are Minolta mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
muddus wrote:

A 22 serial number is Kino/Kiron. That price is too high. The Close Focus version can be had for less than that.

agent_cooper: I'm copyoing the following quote from the best of lenses forum to here because this is the correct forum for dicussing the lenses.
Quote:
"does anybody of you have some shots with ghosting flare produced by this lens?
I have heard it is famous for this, can anybody confirm that?
"

How do you mean famous? Yes, when pointed directly into the sun it will flare. WHile browsing though my extensive directory of pictures from this lens, I only found one situation where I shot directly into the sun. We were stiing in a massive traffic jam at the Holland Tunnel; I got bored and took a couple of pictures of my brother's disgust.

Is this the 28/ f2.8 by Komine? I like the orange ghosts but not the violet ones...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Komine Close Focus. You can always change the color of the ghost.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

how?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_cooper wrote:
Is there any difference in the coating of the 2.8 and 2.0 Komine versions?

The Komine 2.0 and 2.8 both have the same standard multi-coating used on all fixed and TX lenses.

By 1979 all fixed mount standard Vivitars were multi-coated and will be engraved with an MC .

Initially all Vivitars were single coated.When the first Series 1 lenses went into production in the early 70's they were single coated.

VMC multi-coating was first used in 1975 on the Series 1 28mm f1.9,by June of 1975 other Series 1 lenses began receiving VMC Multi-coating...
That's the reason some 1975-1976 Series 1 lens don't have the blue VMC engraving.I believe by 1977 all Series 1 lenses had VMC multi-coating.

In 1975 Vivitar also began using a multi-coating similar(but not the quality of the VMC multi-coating)on some of their standard lenses such as the 50mm 1.7,55mm 1.2, and the 55mm 1.4 and the 135mm f2.8.The 1975 Tokina built TX mount 400mm 5.6 also was multi-coated.

The following year all the Vivitar Automatic TX lense line began using the same multi-coating...I don't know if this was a proprietary Vivitar standard multi-coating or Tokina's proprietary multi-coating....I would assume that the mix design of the coating would be Vivitar's.

Looking at "The Vivitar Guide" published in 1980 the Fixed Mount and the TX mount lenses had standard multi-coating and the Series 1 had the VMC multi-coating.

Of note...I've read elsewhere but can't confirm Komine requested Vivitar's proprietary VMC multi-coating for use as their standard multi-coating...Vivitar apparently did allow this,but the lenses were marked the standard MC...this is anecdotal evidence and would need some verification.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer, how's it going? Survived the work assignment!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_cooper wrote:
woodrim wrote:

how?

It's the same way as correcting CA in Photoshop, using the hue and saturation tool and slecting that color by clicking it and also in the drop down within the tool. I don't know what programs other that PS do this.