Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28mm 2.8__Yashica vs Vivitar vs Olympus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: 28mm 2.8__Yashica vs Vivitar vs Olympus Reply with quote

While I'm trying to find a solution to another issue regarding my Vivitar, I'm considering alternatives.
Which one would you consider the winner among the three lenses mentioned here?
I'm very happy with the Olympus, although I don't have the 28mm 2.8.
I heard Yashica are good too.
So, in terms of sharpness and CA and curly bokeh, which one would be the best choice?

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 28mm 2.8__Yashica vs Vivitar vs Olympus Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
While I'm trying to find a solution to another issue regarding my Vivitar, I'm considering alternatives.
Which one would you consider the winner among the three lenses mentioned here?
I'm very happy with the Olympus, although I don't have the 28mm 2.8.
I heard Yashica are good too.
So, in terms of sharpness and CA and curly bokeh, which one would be the best choice?

Thanks for any help.

There's a seven lens and an eight lens version of the Yashica ML 2.8/28mm. I do own the seven lens version (along with many other 2.8/28mm lenses), and i'm not impressed. I would prefer a Minolta MC/MD 2.8/28mm (seven lens version) for better corner resolution, or maybe a Konica 3.5/28mm (seven lens version) if low distortion is important.

Generally speaking, none of my vintage 2.8/28mm is outstanding, but most are quite good (Canon FD or nFD 2.8/28mm; Carl Zeiss CY Distagon 2.8/28mm; Nikkor AiS 2.8/28mm; Minolta MC and MD 2.8/28mm [7/7]; Tokina RMC 2.8/28mm; Topcor RE 2.8/28mm; Yashica 2.8/28mm [7-Lens version]). I don't own the Olympus 2.8/28mm; the Oly 3.5/28mm, however, is very good.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is an interesting question.
Hard to give a definitive answer until we know which Vivitar and which Yashica.
The serial number of the Vivitar will give us a guide as to who manufactured it.
The Yashica could be the ML or perhaps the Yashinon-DX which are different lenses, and as Stevemark has said there are two versions of the ML.
If you can help us out with specifics it will assist
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest: all these hyped Vivitar 28xxx "close focusing" etc. lenses and variants always have been a disappointment to me. Maybe i was expecting too much because of all the good reports.
I've had several, and several versions as well, none of them impressed me.

The 28's that did impress me: Minolta 2.8/28 (7 lens), Minolta 2.5/28, Konica 3.5/28 (7 lens), Nikkor-N 2.0/28 and the über-cheap RMC Tokina 2.8/28.

I just got a Yashica ML 2.8/28, don't know what version and i haven't tested it yet though.

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are some excellent 28mm lenses out there and there are some poor ones.
There are also plenty of very good ones that will serve very well.
In the comparison that is requested I can't comment until I find out which of the lenses are specifically referred to.
In the meantime, the best 28mm lens that I own is the Pentax K 28mm f3.5, and I have a soft spot for the Meyer Lydith 3.5/30mm for its beautiful rendering.
I have never used the Olympus 28mm f2.8 but the Yashinon DX 2.8/28mm is very good indeed.
The Komine Vivitar 28mm is well regarded. Serial Number 28XXXXXX
More info needed
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well pixel peeping digi owners would find fault in most MF lenses, just get a film camera and for 35mm don't go above say 12 X 10" print (although 20 X16" is possible) and most 28mms are good...although would agree some 28mms are better for distortion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 28mm 2.8__Yashica vs Vivitar vs Olympus Reply with quote

[quote="stevemark"]
cgustav wrote:
Carl Zeiss CY Distagon 2.8/28mm; Topcor RE 2.8/28mm;

Interested in these two lenses on FF in the far field. Can something show ? I also have not yet found a very good 28mm. If only Ultron 28mm f2, kind of like shows well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 28mm 2.8__Yashica vs Vivitar vs Olympus Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
I also have not yet found a very good 28mm. If only Ultron 28mm f2, kind of like shows well.

My favorite 28mm lens is the CV Ultron 28/1.9. Most probably the newer F2 version is even slightly better. I don't know.

My 28mm lenses in comparison: http://forum.mflenses.com/28mm-lens-comparison-pentax-minolta-topcon-cv-kmz-t76791.html

My Ultron 28/1.9: http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-ultron-28mm-f1-9-aspherical-in-m39-ltm-t72400.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax K and Vivitar Komine have always been good enough for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, I thought this thread was dead and I pulled the trigger, I bought the Yashica.
Here are the serial numbers:

Vivitar 28 f/2.8 NO. 28226738
Olympus 28 f/3.5 NO. 365173

As for the Yashica that I bought (I didn't receive it yet), I can't see any serial in the pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck.
Hope it gives you the results you want!
I have heard they are nice lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Ouch, I thought this thread was dead and I pulled the trigger, I bought the Yashica.
Here are the serial numbers:

Vivitar 28 f/2.8 NO. 28226738
Olympus 28 f/3.5 NO. 365173

As for the Yashica that I bought (I didn't receive it yet), I can't see any serial in the pictures.

The Yashica ML has a bayonet fitting - Contax/Yashica type.
The Yashica-DX is an M42 screw mount fitting.
I think that either will give good results.
Have fun with your lens
Tom

PS - here are some samples taken with the Yashica ML.
@f2.8, f5.6 and f8
As you can see, it will take good images for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

@f2.8, f5.6 and f8

Thanks for the samples, looking good! I got the ML some time ago in a lot i bought, never used it. Now i have a reason to go out and try it! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

@f2.8, f5.6 and f8

Thanks for the samples, looking good! I got the ML some time ago in a lot i bought, never used it. Now i have a reason to go out and try it! Wink

I have no idea which version of the Yashica ML that I had, but here are some shots with it - including crops, that show it to be very capable.
I no longer have this lens but it was a good one.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post the samples, Thomas!

The model I've bought is the ML:

uddhava wrote:
Good luck.

Thank you, uddhava.
Hopefully, it will.

stevemark wrote:

There's a seven lens and an eight lens version of the Yashica ML 2.8/28mm.
Stephan

Thanks for the info, stevemark.
What should I look for in order to figure if it's seven or eight lens?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to post the samples, Thomas!

The model I've bought is the ML:

uddhava wrote:
Good luck.

Thank you, uddhava.
Hopefully, it will.

stevemark wrote:

There's a seven lens and an eight lens version of the Yashica ML 2.8/28mm.
Stephan

Thanks for the info, stevemark.
What should I look for in order to figure if it's seven or eight lens?

No doubt Stevemark will reply, but in the meantime have a look at this link:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/71139756@N00/discuss/72157630569321340/
It might help a little
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1