Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28-50mm zoom lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

Yesterday i saw a pic of the cimko 28-50
Except the rubbers , certainly the same

I've come to the conclusion the Osawa is a Kobori, Like the Soligor variant. Both have 12feet/5meters as the first distance markings next to infinity and a .6m CFD + Macro. The Cimko has .5m cfd, no macro and 30ff/10meter markings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received the nFD 28-55 in pretty good condition and it seems to be a very good lens. I need to spend more time on it and when possible post some pics.

True the construction is not old rokkor or breechlock FD style but it is very light which is also nice if you see it as a travel companion.

My only gripe is the play in the focus ring which complicates a bit fine focusing but there is nothing impossible to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
I have received the nFD 28-55 in pretty good condition and it seems to be a very good lens. I need to spend more time on it and when possible post some pics.

True the construction is not old rokkor or breechlock FD style but it is very light which is also nice if you see it as a travel companion.

My only gripe is the play in the focus ring which complicates a bit fine focusing but there is nothing impossible to deal with.

Nice. Play and zooms is often a thing. I fear it can also affect the optical performance of the lens. The few test shots I did with the vivitar it seemed a bit low in contrast, especially at infinity, I've had the same thing with a wobbly Pentax-A 35-70mm 1:4. Poor contrast. A better copy didn't have that problem. I should have all of my ordered 28-50's in 2 to three weeks. It may be a while before I can test them as my house is being renovated and I packed most of my lenses in crates.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is going to beat this one: Canon FDn 28-55 3,5/4,5 @35mm f5,6

[img]Tours de la Défense by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I will have to visit Paris to test mine. The Vivitar looks decent apart from a contrast problem. It's now boxed though due to renovation work on my house I had to put most of my lenses in crates. That will be finished in a few weeks. Meanwhile two packages from Japan are expected in a week and an a half I guess, Carrying Pentax, Tamron (twice) and Sigma.

So far I have only these two Bokeh test shots from the Vivitar 28-50mm 1:3.5-4.5 @50mm F4.5

Fence Bokeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Bokeh balls by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read everything here, but if the camera is Sony A7 and higher, then I wouldn't hesitate to take a native Sony 28-60mm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Who is going to beat this one: Canon FDn 28-55 3,5/4,5 @35mm f5,6

[img]Tours de la Défense by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

Great picture and beautiful light Like 1 Like 1
The vignetting seems to be a little bit heavy but here it adds to the visual impact.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Volker. Vignetting has been added in post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One with the Tamron 07A 28mm F8

The Pond by The lens profile, on Flickr

It feels a bit wobbly but centering seems not to be impacted. I have another one that is less wobbly, but that has some fungus behind the rear element and I can't seem to get it out. I'm just stripping the notches. I is less contrasty probably due to the fungus. I'm am going to need a hood for it. It's prone to flare. Rotating front means a petal hood is not an option.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh test with the same lens (Tamron 07A)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh test with the SMC Pentax-m 28-50mm 1:3.5-4.5

All bokeh tests are shot at 50mm wide open.

This lens has a seriously sharp centre already wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 07A also doesn't disappoint in close focussing ability .25 at 50mm at 28mm it is a rather mundane .6

Daisy by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax the best, then Tamron, and last one the Vivitar. Unsurplisingly, I'd say.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Pentax the best, then Tamron, and last one the Vivitar. Unsurplisingly, I'd say.

Maybe but bokeh is highly dependent on specific light conditions.

Flare on the Tamron. Overcast conditions subdued light, but the sky is still causing flare and contrast loss. On the second pic I am holding my hand over the lens. It is greatly reduced but still a bit of it in the top middle where the tree is a bit hazy. It could use a petal hood, but that rotating filter thread....

shot @35mm F8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Maybe but bokeh is highly dependent on specific light conditions.

I was meaning the whole picture, the bokeh is of little interest with this kind of FL and aperture IMHO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax-m 28-50 @28mm F8 and 35mm F8

The Pond 28mm by The lens profile, on Flickr

The Pond 35mm by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A review of the Canon FD 28-50mm 1:3.5
https://volkergilbertphoto.com/canon-zoom-lens-fd-28-50-mm-f-35/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
One with the Tamron 07A 28mm F8

The Pond by The lens profile, on Flickr

It feels a bit wobbly but centering seems not to be impacted. I have another one that is less wobbly, but that has some fungus behind the rear element and I can't seem to get it out. I'm just stripping the notches. I is less contrasty probably due to the fungus. I'm am going to need a hood for it. It's prone to flare. Rotating front means a petal hood is not an option.

Yes, mine is a bit wobbly under use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same view again (but evening) with the Vivitar 28-50mm 3.5-4.5 MC Zoom (Komine) 28mm F8 No complaints about it sharpness up to the edges (haven't really studied the corners with this light).
The Pond F8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

The lens isn't as contrasty as the Pentax or Tamron but not bad at all. For Bokeh it us probably the least of the three. (no. 4 Sigma is still lying opened up on my desk). No softness when shooting wide open but it does have loss of contrast when shooting into highlights. Coatings not as good as Pentax's and Tamron. It is a slide zoom and very stiff to the point where it seems stuck, no zoom creep though :p.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to this thread, but I'll put in a plug for the Nikkor 28-50mm. It's a marvelous small thing that I use for both film and digital. It's often attached to an FM2.

The Nikkor 28-45mm on your list is an oddity. Large, clunky, not special in any way other than being Nikon's first run at a wide zoom. The 25-50mm is a way better lens if you want a two-ring zoom and can possibly stand going wider than 28mm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FDn 28-55 3,5/4,5 again!

Le mouillage | The anchorage by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly messed up my Sigma 28-50mm 1:2.8-3.5 so I got another copy on the way. Most of the glass is still OK though so I could switch it out when the new copy turns out hazy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not in your specified focal range, you may still consider the Nikon AF 28-70 f/3.5-4.5D which is only 360 grams. Very good optics with aspherical element, not too flimsy and with a real aperture ring.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Although not in your specified focal range, you may still consider the Nikon AF 28-70 f/3.5-4.5D which is only 360 grams. Very good optics with aspherical element, not too flimsy and with a real aperture ring.

Reminds me of several of the cheapest Minolta AF lenses ... Back in 2008 I got one of the first A900 DSRLs in Switzerland,
and immediately put it to test (remember this was the first 24 MP FF camera).

In the previous months, the German speaking forums had been full of "blah-blah" by "knowledgeable" photographers claiming the 24MP
would be useless - unless one would work with the most expensive glass available. They were stunned to see that an image taken with the
A900 & a cheapo Minolta kitlens had way more detail than the typical 12 MP APS-C camera & expensive 2.8/24-70mm lens ...

Quite a few of them did attack me personally because the "knew" it couln't be true ...

Well, some things never change.

S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Reminds me of several of the cheapest Minolta AF lenses ... Back in 2008 I got one of the first A900 DSRLs in Switzerland, and immediately put it to test (remember this was the first 24 MP FF camera).

In the previous months, the German speaking forums had been full of "blah-blah" by "knowledgeable" photographers claiming the 24MP would be useless - unless one would work with the most expensive glass available. They were stunned to see that an image taken with the A900 & a cheapo Minolta kitlens had way more detail than the typical 12 MP APS-C camera & expensive 2.8/24-70mm lens ...

Quite a few of them did attack me personally because the "knew" it couln't be true ...

Well, some things never change.

S