Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

25mm f1.5 Cooke Kinic version -- chrome = coated?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: 25mm f1.5 Cooke Kinic version -- chrome = coated? Reply with quote

How to determine whether a 25mm f1.5 Cooke Kinic is the coated version or uncoated version?

Samples tagged as coated on the web seem to be all-chrome (shiny metal), while those tagged as uncoated seem to have a black-paint job on the front half. Would this (all-chrome version) be a good way to know if the lens is coated?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The all silver (aluminum) versions are, not the one black or half black.
At least my experience...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
The all silver (aluminum) versions are, not the one black or half black.
At least my experience...

Thanks.
What you say makes perfect sense based on my limited observations. Pictures taken with the coated version seem far superior (to my eyes) than the uncoated version. If you've used both, would you concur?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would. The coated version is much advanced. It's a Petzval design and quite a "swirler" wide open.

Set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157625383702448/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Yes, I would. The coated version is much advanced. It's a Petzval design and quite a "swirler" wide open.

Nice set of pictures, thank you. I recently acquired the coated (all metal) Kinic and it is proving to be absolutely stunning for portraits -- it completely shames all my mft lenses (both prime and zoom) for portraits. Amazing that something so old and dated is hands down "better" than state of the art lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Petzval for long years was the preferred portrait lens, so no wonder for me
that you like it! Could we see some exaples please?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine on eBay for $89, is the half silver and half black one, I think it's not coated.. Fun for taking picture with in close subjects, but not for infinity shooting. The lens is not sharp, I did try a Dallmeyer 25mm f1.9, that's a sharp lens. The picture attached was Cooke Kinic 25mm f1.8 on Sony A7R APS-C, and processed for sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new_berlin wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Nice set of pictures, thank you. I recently acquired the coated (all metal) Kinic and it is proving to be absolutely stunning for portraits -- it completely shames all my mft lenses (both prime and zoom) for portraits. Amazing that something so old and dated is hands down "better" than state of the art lenses.

I just picked up one of these and in using it on my m43 olympus body, there is no swirl. In fact it is quite sharp and clear all the way wide open edge to edge. Majoryly disappointed as that's not what I wanted. Any tips? It acts as a macro when I free lens with it on my full frame canon body.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could everybody please stop writing chrome and silver and whatnot? It’s aluminium or aluminum, nothing else. Only very few lenses got chrome plated parts, more frequent is nickel. Nickeled brass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of the Kinic, since the edges are very soft. I prefer the Ross 1 inch f1.9, or the Hugo Meyer Kino Plasmat 25mm f1.5. Here are three pics, in that order. The latter two actually cover the APS-C frame focused at this distance.