Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

24mm full frame recommendations needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: 24mm full frame recommendations needed Reply with quote

I'm looking for a 24mm prime lens to use on a full frame Canon EOS camera mainly for landscape work.
It needs to be sharp right into the corners of the frame when stopped down to f8/f11.
Any thoughts? Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native 24/2.8 is . I shot them on a full-frame Sony, I liked it, the corners are covered, the color, the distortion is normal and not like modern bzk tamrons, etc. Only the sunsrars are not very )
Sony A7R2 (Canon ef 24/2.8 is)
floodplain-16 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Sigma MF or AF 24mm 2,8.

You need a good copy of course. I had to get rid of one and was finally so happy I bought it in two mounts (MD and FD).

It was even more difficult to obtain a good copy of the Tamron adaptall 24 2,8. You will obtain same results as the Sigma but a stop later. So the Sigma is the best option to my eyes but a cheap Tamron is not to disregard. I finally got rid of the Tamron since it was fungused but this does not reduce the quality of the computation.

I have owned Canon FD and Minolta MD 24 2,8. Canon has sliders problems difficult to manage unless you are good at mechanics and Minolta is a step behind in quality at this focal length.

I have not tested the modern lenses discussed above which are certainly very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind the size Samyang/Rokinon etc. 24mm 1:1.4 More modern than all those vintage 24mm options. It's discontinued I think so you'll have to buy used.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to offer these two suggestions on an MF forum, but both lenses can be focused manually.
The Sigma ART 24/1.4 and the Sigma ART 24-105/4 are both stellar.
The Zoom is particularly good at 24mm
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a Sigma 24mm f1.8, which is autofocus but can be focused manually. Alot of the vintage manual focus 24mm lenses are watched like hawks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an Eos DSLR the most flexible 24mm prime in landscape work is the TS- E 24mm L Mark II. It's also a decent 34mm lens used with the EF 1.4x III, a combo I would rate as being broadly equivalent to my Zeiss Contax fit 35mm PC-Distagon.

On a budget consider an MC version of the Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8 which is sharper, earlier, than the Sigma Tamron or Canon FD options.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of vintage lenses, I can advise nfd 24/2.8. The corners are covered on f11. Bad: glare, sun rays, however, like all vintage lenses. The price difference is not that big between the fd and the ef. EF native bayonet with exif and af. )
nfd 24
floodplain-11 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I hesitate to offer these two suggestions on an MF forum, but both lenses can be focused manually.
The Sigma ART 24/1.4 and the Sigma ART 24-105/4 are both stellar.
The Zoom is particularly good at 24mm
Tom

Thanks Tom, but they both sport 'stellar' prices too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

You need a good copy of course. I had to get rid of one and was finally so happy I bought it in two mounts (MD and FD).

It was even more difficult to obtain a good copy of the Tamron adaptall 24 2,8. You will obtain same results as the Sigma but a stop later. So the Sigma is the best option to my eyes but a cheap Tamron is not to disregard. I finally got rid of the Tamron since it was fungused but this does not reduce the quality of the computation.

I have owned Canon FD and Minolta MD 24 2,8. Canon has sliders problems difficult to manage unless you are good at mechanics and Minolta is a step behind in quality at this focal length.

I have not tested the modern lenses discussed above which are certainly very nice.

I recently sold my mf Sigma 24mm as the corners weren't sharp at any aperture.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
If you don't mind the size Samyang/Rokinon etc. 24mm 1:1.4 More modern than all those vintage 24mm options. It's discontinued I think so you'll have to buy used.

Too expensive I'm afraid atm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bp_reid wrote:
On an Eos DSLR the most flexible 24mm prime in landscape work is the TS- E 24mm L Mark II. It's also a decent 34mm lens used with the EF 1.4x III, a combo I would rate as being broadly equivalent to my Zeiss Contax fit 35mm PC-Distagon.

On a budget consider an MC version of the Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8 which is sharper, earlier, than the Sigma Tamron or Canon FD options.

I had thought about the MC Olympus but they don't appear very often. Plenty available on eBay from Japan and they are in my price range. You have to remember to factor in the cost of import duty. A few months ago I bought a Pentax K 3.5/28 from Japan and forgot about the tax until an invoice arrived from DHL a week after the lens arrived for £40. You live and learn. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
Native 24/2.8 is . I shot them on a full-frame Sony, I liked it, the corners are covered, the color, the distortion is normal and not like modern bzk tamrons, etc. Only the sunsrars are not very )
Sony A7R2 (Canon ef 24/2.8 is)
floodplain-16 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

Thanks for the photo, another lens to consider.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 24mm full frame recommendations needed Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I'm looking for a 24mm prime lens to use on a full frame Canon EOS camera mainly for landscape work.
It needs to be sharp right into the corners of the frame when stopped down to f8/f11.
Any thoughts? Thank you.

Some years ago I have been comparing a few common vintage 24mm primes on 24 MP FF Sony A7 / A7II, checking especially their properties at infinity, both in the field and in the corners (all centers were very good even wide open):

* Canon nFD 2/24mm
* Canon FD 2.8/24mm
* Canon nFD 2.8/24mm
* Kiron 2/24mm
* Konica AR 2.8/24mm
* Konica AR 2.8/24mm (later compact version)
* Minolta MC-X 2.8/24mm (first heavy version)
* Minolta MD-II 2.8/24mm (slightly modified computation)
* Minolta MD-III 2.8/24mm (new computation)
* Nikkor AiS 2/24mm
* Nikkor-N Auto 2.8/24mm
* Nikkor Ai 2.8/24mm
* Nikkor AiS 2.8/24mm
* Pentax (Asahi) Super-Takumar 3.5/24mm
* Pentax-A 2.8/24mm
* Yashica ML 2.8/24mm
* Zeiss CY 2.8/25mm

Out of these, the Nikkor and the Kiron 2/24mm were the worst for landscape purposes, and both the Minolta MD-III as well as the Canon nFD 2.8/24mm were best. The Nikkor 2.8/24mm in its different versions was very close to the MD-III and nFD, the older nikkors of course having less effective coatings.

If you want raw files from one or two of theses lenses, just PM me and include your e-mail address.

S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 24mm full frame recommendations needed Reply with quote

I can't help much but I have tried 4 24mm's that were quite good but not good enough for high end landscape.

1. Vivitar 24mm 2.8 Cosina. Very good close focus and nice bokeh. Sharp on film but on Sony a7 the edges are not great.
2. Sigma Super Wide II 24mm 2.8 manual focus, very similar to the Vivitar.
3. Minolta MC Rokkor 24mm 2.8 SI. Good but too much CA.
4. Canon FD 24mm 2.8 breach lock mount. Could not reach infinity.

Today I opportunistically look for one of the following:
MD 24mm 2.8 49mm filter version.
Olympus 24mm 2.8 last version.

Or a Canon, Minolta or Nikon 24mm 2.8 AF lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold the Canon FD 24mm 2.8, an Olympus OM 24mm 2.8 was decentered so sold it again. The Canon EF 24mm 2.8 is nearly identical to the nFD 24mm 2.8 in optical design (FD breechlock is different) and at 140 Euro as affordable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Sold the Canon FD 24mm 2.8, an Olympus OM 24mm 2.8 was decentered so sold it again. The Canon EF 24mm 2.8 is nearly identical to the nFD 24mm 2.8 in optical design (FD breechlock is different) and at 140 Euro as affordable.

It's on my short list along with the MC version of the Olympus 24mm f2.8. My budget is about £200 and as I am using a full frame Canon EOS camera it rules out quite a number of good lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you want to use it on a FF EOS camera, but are you talking DSLR FF EOS or mirrorless FF EOS? There's lots of lenses listed that will work fine on mirrorless but won't reach infinity on a DSLR...
It's like asking for engine options for a 4 wheel vehicle.
Better to provide more details than necessary, like what the actual camera model is and/or what one you're planning to get.

Shorter registration lenses:
Konica 24/2.8 my only complaint is the aperture ring detents are kind of notchy and abrupt rather than smooth.
Canon FD 24/2.8
Canon nFD 24/2
Minolta MD 24/2.8
Leica M 24/2.8 Asph, is likely way out of your price range, but it's wonderful.

Longer registration:
Yashica 24/2.8 C/Y
Contax 25/2.8 C/Y
OM MC 24/2.8 (Zuiko without the prefix letter is also multicoated)
Leica R 24/2.8 which is the same as the Minolta MD 24/2.8 but may have better QA/QC than the Minolta.
Nikon 24/2.8 pre-Ai Ai Ais

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
You say you want to use it on a FF EOS camera, but are you talking DSLR FF EOS or mirrorless FF EOS? There's lots of lenses listed that will work fine on mirrorless but won't reach infinity on a DSLR...
It's like asking for engine options for a 4 wheel vehicle.
Better to provide more details than necessary, like what the actual camera model is and/or what one you're planning to get.

Shorter registration lenses:
Konica 24/2.8 my only complaint is the aperture ring detents are kind of notchy and abrupt rather than smooth.
Canon FD 24/2.8
Canon nFD 24/2
Minolta MD 24/2.8
Leica M 24/2.8 Asph, is likely way out of your price range, but it's wonderful.

Longer registration:
Yashica 24/2.8 C/Y
Contax 25/2.8 C/Y
OM MC 24/2.8 (Zuiko without the prefix letter is also multicoated)
Leica R 24/2.8 which is the same as the Minolta MD 24/2.8 but may have better QA/QC than the Minolta.
Nikon 24/2.8 pre-Ai Ai Ais

Canon EOS 5D MKII

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents.
Sony 24/1,4 is manual focus too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
My two cents.

An E-mount lens on EF-mount?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-28mm-f2-ais-t70206.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
papasito wrote:
My two cents.

An E-mount lens on EF-mount?

Sorry I didn't read all the first post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

I recently sold my mf Sigma 24mm as the corners weren't sharp at any aperture.

Ed, buy another copy. It is a fine Lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of favorite 24s. One is a Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC, but since you are shooting an EOS, FD is out unless you want to do the conversion to the lens. My other favorite is the Tamron 24mm f/2.5. Stopped down it's as sharp or sharper than any other 24 I've come across. But then, I'm no means an expert on 24s. I own only three -- the above two and a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 AIs. The Nikon is soft in the corners, so I can't recommend it.