Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

24mm full frame recommendations needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar 24mm f/2 (Kino, OM mount) that's sharp when stopped down. The Zuiko 24mm f/3.5 is also a good choice. I also have the Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 (Tokina) in M2 and it is a good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your contributions, in the end I bought this one:-

Photo courtesy of seller.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With lenses wider than 28mm, going vintage isn't worth it.

Corner performance will be simply not satisfactory.

Why you bought the Olympus is beyond me. Much too expensive for what you get. I am sure there is a cheap Canon (or third party) 24mm option which easily bests the Olympus (and most probably even has autofocus).

I, for example, have the Tamron 24mm f2.8 for 199 Euros (for Sony) which is a very sharp, high resolution lens with fully satisfatory rendering (even for a Contax-Zeiss lover like me).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:
With lenses wider than 28mm, going vintage isn't worth it.

Corner performance will be simply not satisfactory.

Why you bought the Olympus is beyond me. Much too expensive for what you get. I am sure there is a cheap Canon (or third party) 24mm option which easily bests the Olympus (and most probably even has autofocus).

I, for example, have the Tamron 24mm f2.8 for 199 Euros (for Sony) which is a very sharp, high resolution lens with fully satisfatory rendering (even for a Contax-Zeiss lover like me).

I would rather claim " With lenses wider than 24mm, going vintage isn't worth it " since I have a bunch of very good 24 mm lenses (Pentax K, Canon nFD/SSC, Nikon AI, Olympus Zuiko "latest model") which offer very satisfying performance even in the corners once stopped down 2 or 3 stops. Sure, I never would have paid 200 Euros for any of them ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your budget is but +1 for the Sigma Superwide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM-system so your branding is up to date as well. Olympus seems to be the only one to make an ultra compact 24mm lens. Pentax skipped the focal length in the m series and carried over the K-series 24/2.8 formula to the A series.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Pentax skipped the focal length in the m series and carried over the K-series 24/2.8 formula to the A series.

I tested K 24/2.8 which was specially sent to me from Japan. In comparison to K 24 and nfd 24, the latter won) A couple of years ago I bought an EF 24/2.8 IS about $220/ I don't see the point of vintage lenses. Especially on EF.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
Pentax skipped the focal length in the m series and carried over the K-series 24/2.8 formula to the A series.

I tested K 24/2.8 which was specially sent to me from Japan. In comparison to K 24 and nfd 24, the latter won) A couple of years ago I bought an EF 24/2.8 IS about $220/ I don't see the point of vintage lenses. Especially on EF.

If the point is getting the best sharpness over the frame and least aberrations a modern lens will outperform vintage most of the time. I have no experience with the K-24mm yet but I do have the Super-Takumar 24/3.5 (same optical as the K 24/3.5) and it is a pleasing lens even though mine has some haze due to separation.

Flowerkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Europapark by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:
Why you bought the Olympus is beyond me.

The Olympus has now arrived and I couldn't be happier. Like others on this forum I have spent too much money looking for that vintage low cost wide angle prime gem. This Olympus ticks all the boxes for me; compatible with my Canon EOS5DMKII, small and superbly constructed, renders beautifully and most importantly for my landscape work is sharp right into the corners at f8/f11. Okay, you can't have everything, there is some CA but nothing that can't be sorted afterwards in Photoshop/Lightroom. The lens cost me £150 stg, to my mind a no brainer really. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
hasenbein wrote:

The Olympus has now arrived and I couldn't be happier. Like others on this forum I have spent too much money looking for that vintage low cost wide angle prime gem. This Olympus ticks all the boxes for me; compatible with my Canon EOS5DMKII, small and superbly constructed, renders beautifully and most importantly for my landscape work is sharp right into the corners at f8/f11. Okay, you can't have everything, there is some CA but nothing that can't be sorted afterwards in Photoshop/Lightroom. The lens cost me £150 stg, to my mind a no brainer really. Very Happy

It IS a brainer. For the same price you can get a Canon 24mm lens which is better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
hasenbein wrote:

It IS a brainer. For the same price you can get a Canon 24mm lens which is better.

"Better" is subjective. I don't want AF nor a mainly plastic constructed lens. The Canon lens may be sharper but without the character and rendering of the Olympus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM is an aps-c lens. You would have to modify it to use on full frame Canon and it wouldn't have very good corner performance and heavy vignetting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have quickly compared my existing 24mm primes on my A7R II 42MP/FF for best corner performance; i.e. landscape compatibility:

Minolta MD III 24/2.8: Best performer, really perfect edge to edge sharpness as from F5.6, usable already wide open.
Minolta AF 24/2.8: Not as perfect as it's MF sibling, but almost.
Pentax K 24/2.8: Needs F8 for best corners. Not bad.
Tokina RMC 24/2.8: Not recommended for FF usage.
Voigtländer VM 25/4: Not recommended, very good center, but corners remain soft.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Have quickly compared my existing 24mm primes on my A7R II 42MP/FF for best corner performance; i.e. landscape compatibility:

Minolta MD III 24/2.8: Best performer, really perfect edge to edge sharpness as from F5.6, usable already wide open.
Voigtländer VM 25/4: Not recommended, very good center, but corners remain soft.

Thanks Thomas, I owned the Minolta MD III 24/2.8 at one time and used it on my Sony Alpha A6000.
Unfortunately it wasn't compatible with my Canon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I owned the Minolta MD III 24/2.8 at one time and used it on my Sony Alpha A6000.
Unfortunately it wasn't compatible with my Canon.

Well, my rather huge collection of Minolta MF lenses was the main reason to go for the Sony A7R II, particularly in combination with the Techart Pro adapter with AF assistance it's very convenient to use them.
The positive side effect is that I can use all other lenses as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

I had two copies of the MDIII 24 and none was sharp in full frame corners at infinity (field curvature I guess).

One was not too bad in the corners focusing on them to avoid field curvature.

Sigma super wide is better on A7II.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

I had two copies of the MDIII 24 and none was sharp in full frame corners at infinity (field curvature I guess).

Well, your A7 II isn't comparable to the A7R II since it's equipped with the old CMOS sensor type.
Should be much better on the A7 III with the BSI-CMOS sensor likewise to the A7R II.
The RF-lens performance is also much better on the newer sensor type.
Lens performance is sometimes quite different when different cameras/sensors are used.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

Well, your A7 II isn't comparable to the A7R II since it's equipped with the old CMOS sensor type.
Should be much better on the A7 III with the BSI-CMOS sensor likewise to the A7R II.
Lens performance is sometimes quite different when different cameras/sensors are used.

With a floating element design like the Minolta MD; Canon FD(SSC) or Nikkor 24 mm f/2.8 the corner sharpness is highly dependent on the correct infinity stop (and thus the adapter length and the correct hard stop on the lens) as well as the correct position of the floating elements in relation the the other elements. And especially with old lenses, you can never be sure that the lens works as intended. For instance, my nFD 24 mm f/2,8 (considered by the French Photo Cinema Magazine as the best of the 24 mm lenses available at the beginning of the 1980s'...), had rotten slider bearings which completely destroyed sharpness in the corners since the FE group didn't move accordingly with the focusing ring. After my repair, everything was perfect again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
hasenbein wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
hasenbein wrote:

"Better" is subjective. I don't want AF nor a mainly plastic constructed lens. The Canon lens may be sharper but without the character and rendering of the Olympus.

Exactly. That’s why I sold my Sony FE 85/1.8, which is an excellent lens optically. I found the process of shooting with a plastic AF lens not inspiring though. There are quite a few lenses I own that are optically ‘not as good’ as more modern lenses, but are just incredibly fun to shoot with. For instance the Takumar 35/3.5, which is a mechanical masterpiece IMO. OM Zuiko’s are also beautifully made and a pleasure to shoot with. And if a lens inspires you while using it, it may finally result in better pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But which is the coolest looking 24mm?
That is important!

At a guess probably the old Zeiss Flektogon 25/4 or the Topcor 25/3.5 or maybe even the Tamron Adaptamatic 24/3.5 (but that one is too awful even for me).
If you've got a mirrorless, maybe some versions of the Voigtlander Skopar 25/4? It is rather small for pure camera bling though.

Any others?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
That is important!

At a guess probably the old Zeiss Flektogon 25/4 or the Topcor 25/3.5 or maybe even the Tamron Adaptamatic 24/3.5 (but that one is too awful even for me).
If you've got a mirrorless, maybe some versions of the Voigtlander Skopar 25/4? It is rather small for pure camera bling though.

Any others?

Super-Takumar 24mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
That is important!

Any others?

What is cool?

IMHO the most important character for wide angle lenses is sharpness across the frame. I would never select any wide angle lens to achieve a nice bokeh and to the best of my knowledge there is no wide angle lens which would be able to achieve that; at least not for my taste.

Obviously there are very different views on this topic amongst different members here. Finally it's a matter of taste...

BTW, I've mentioned Voigtländer Skopar 25/4 before: At least on the A7R II it's unable to create sharp borders/edges, on my Ricoh GXR-M it's a phantastic and nearly perfect lens; i.e. highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

That might well be the case. Probably an even better solution would be the Panasonic S1r or Leica Sl2 which reputedly have thinner sensor stack. But you need some €€€€€.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is cool?

Easy - the most chrome, and knobs, and especially chromed knobs.