Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

20mm f2.8 AIS Nikkor ..opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: 20mm f2.8 AIS Nikkor ..opinions Reply with quote

My local camera store has just got a nice condition 20mm f2.8 AIS Nikkor in the window, I'm seriously tempted to part exchange my mint condition 20mm 2.8 AFD for it - it's not a focal length I use a great deal but it's tempting...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great lens! Go ahead ....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shall see how much extra it will cost me, I've spent a fair bit with the shop so hopefully they'll give me a good deal I'd think for the shop all though the list price of the AIS version is a bit higher than the AFD, the AFD will be easier for them to sell - most people have yet to see the light Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shall see how much extra it will cost me, I've spent a fair bit with the shop so hopefully they'll give me a good deal I'd think for the shop all though the list price of the AIS version is a bit higher than the AFD, the AFD will be easier for them to sell - most people have yet to see the light Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20mm is a great focal length to have. I know, because I do not have one and I miss one regularly. Wink

I use my AF Tokina 12-24 or Sigma 17-70 for these shots, but I can't use an MF lens...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those nikkor 20's - pretty much all of them are great lenses one way or another.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took a couple of shots outside the shop yesterday with the 20mm 2.8 AIS, had a look at them last night, and it shows slightly less barreling than the AF, slightly less CA and a slightly flatter field - the AF 20mm is a very good performer but the AIS definitely has the edge. My 20mm AF is pretty much mint, with box, boxed lenshood all Nikon paperwork so I'm hoping the shop will give me a good exchange deal - I shall find out later this morning Cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck mate!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I now own the 20mm 2.8 AIS. The camera shop didn't give me as much as I hoped for the 20 2.8 AFD (it's a focal range covered by both kit lenses and super-wide zooms so might take them a while to sell...) but they did give me more than I expected for the Tamron 80-210, despite them having three of those in stock! Still I've got a better performing lens, and one that I'll enjoy using rather than one that never felt quite right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, please do me sample photos ! I wish to buy this lens for myself, I am so curious and this lens is missing from Nikkor gallery.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hey, please do me sample photos ! I wish to buy this lens for myself, I am so curious and this lens is missing from Nikkor gallery.

Will do!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample shots on my pages of the gallery. Review under the sticky.

I like it Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, this is an excellent shot! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot Richard. My brother lives in Hawkinge and I was there this past spring. Love that whole area. Especially the "Midsomer Murder" towns

Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks - it needs a touch of levels adjustment and maybe a little sharpening, but for an unedited shot I was please. depth of field even at 5.6 is vast!