Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1D classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: 1D classic Reply with quote

New topic for 1D.

Wau, this is becoming my favorite camera for daily use. For work I use different bodies.

Kind of film like grain, so noise killer is off in raw-converter. ISO 1600 and like said no noise killer at all.

Sharpness. The sharpness and colors are totally different than any other Canon body. It's so sharp straight from the camera.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes noise looks like grain im b/w shots, that's right. But what I don't like, for example in my M8, are the lines that are occasionally formed by noise in those images - those lines can also be seen in your pictures. That's some kind of "banding".

The 1D was a professional cam of its time with all the advantages (usability, ruggedness...) and disadvantaged (size, weight...).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that those lines are not so great and clearly visible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Sometimes noise looks like grain im b/w shots, that's right. But what I don't like, for example in my M8, are the lines that are occasionally formed by noise in those images - those lines can also be seen in your pictures. That's some kind of "banding".

moire?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

moire?

No. Doesn't have anything to do with moiré.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

moire?

No. Doesn't have anything to do with moiré.

banding due to missing AA filter?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's neither due to a missing AA filter, it's caused by the way how the signals are read out by the sensor.
But don't ask me about the physics behind it.

EDIT:

"Banding noise is highly camera-dependent, and is noise which is introduced by the camera when it reads data from the digital sensor. Banding noise is most visible at high ISO speeds and in the shadows, or when an image has been excessively brightened. Banding noise can also increase for certain white balances, depending on camera model."

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-noise.htm

and

"Horizontal and Vertical Banding Noise (HVBN) is caused by sensor readout, downstream amplification, and ADC. There can be multiple sources of HVBN, some of them cause a relatively fixed pattern, others can cause random pattern. External signal interference is often a source of softer and more random banding. Exactly which causes banding in which sensors really depends, and no one but the manufacturer has enough information to point to the exact causes for any given camera.

Primarily, HVBN is caused by the way rows of pixels are activated, and each column for a row is read, and the nature of the transistors involved in that readout process. First, transistors manufactured via photolithography are imperfect. Imperfections in the base silicon, imperfections in the template and etching, etc. can all affect the response of transistors. As such, each pixel in a sensor, as well as buckets for on-die image processing such as CDS (Correlated Double Sampling), will not necessarily behave like all the rest, producing differences. In modern CMOS sensors (Sony Exmor type sensors excluded), on-die CDS circuitry is often a culprit for introducing banding noise at lower ISO settings (ISO 100 through maybe 800) in the deep shadows."

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/41874/what-causes-banding-noise

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not a big issue, because it disappears when noise killer is applied.

Here's one sample ISO 1600, MIR24M.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. And if it gets a little softer, it's no problem for portraits! Enjoy your classic pro cam.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation Carsten.

Now I wonder how much of that is in firmware, & if chip manufacturer did optimize, are there other tradeoffs, etc.. Would be too cool if somebody could do that in (alternate) bios update.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it doesn't matter in portraits.

By the way, the flash sync 1/500 is a really great feature. I can use smaller flash unit outside that doesn't have a Hi-sync feature much more often now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I can sync flash in studio even higher speeds than 1/500. I tested and it synced at 1/1000 easily. This is great for action flash works!
I cannot do this with any other Canon camera Confused

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick test outdoor. 1/500 with flash. Nice to be able to stop movement when shooting with flash without hi-sync.