Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1973: Multiple Coating: Where it's at, who has it
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: 1973: Multiple Coating: Where it's at, who has it Reply with quote

May 1973 Popular Photography.

Cut to the chase, who was multi coated in '73:

The article:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!

The only lens in the RE Topcor line with MC is the RE GN Topcor M 50mm f/1.4. The Topcor 28/2 and 35/1.8 are prototypes which never went into production. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was guessing Pentax would have the lead in multi-coating before I clicked on the message link. Yep, they had a huge lead over everyone else back in '73. Interesting to see that Fuji was already using their famed EBC coatings in 1973 -- I guess I'd thought that it came later.

I just took a look at the FD lenses at Canon's Museum. Turns out they released their SSC line in March, 1973. So, this article, dated May, 1973, must have been written before Canon's new multi-coated lenses hit the market. Given the lead time some magazines have between writing and publication, this seems about right. Unfortunate timing on Popular Photography's part. At least the author of the article included the necessary disclaimer "As of this writing . . . "

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for letting us part in this interesting article!

But one fault is to mention: Zeiss 2/120 for Hasselblad was never made Wink

Later 2000F lens was 2/110 T*
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of FSU lenses? Cold War carryover? Nor does it distinguish the fact that many multi-coated lenses were, in fact, one coat with several ingredients. Good read though. Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to see Spiratone on the list, Fred Spira was certainly determined to sell quality products at affordable prices.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the RE GN Topcor 35mm 1:1.8 M lens was announced at Photokina in 1974, it was announced as multi-coated. That and the RE GN Topcor 50mm 1:1.4 M lens are the only SLR lenses Topcon marketed as multi-coated.

The 28mm 1:2.0 lens was an earlier prototype, before Topcon claimed any multi-coating.

I have all the other Topcors on that list, all their coatings reflect just blue and gold, nothing that looks multi-coated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful.

And what about Leica R lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Very useful.

Or at least Minolta. I thought some would be 'multicoated' since at least 1966 with the introduction of new computed fast lenses... I don't like the term nor the hype around it - it's so ambiguously defined or not at all. How does one recognise multicoating vs. multiple single coatings on different elements? The term alone doesn't impart efficiency, either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
papasito wrote:
Very useful.

Or at least Minolta. I thought some would be 'multicoated' since at least 1966 with the introduction of new computed fast lenses... I don't like the term nor the hype around it - it's so ambiguously defined or not at all. How does one recognise multicoating vs. multiple single coatings on different elements? The term alone doesn't impart efficiency, either.

Minolta is mentioned 2nd paragraph...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973: Multiple Coating: Where it's at, who has it Reply with quote

[quote="Nesster"]May 1973 Popular Photography.

Cut to the chase, who was multi coated in '73:
/quote]

All of them on that list I think. Is this incorrect Nesster?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Teemō wrote:
papasito wrote:
Very useful.

Minolta is mentioned 2nd paragraph...

Rather dismissively...