Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1972 Horizont, first roll
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: 1972 Horizont, first roll Reply with quote

Here are a few images from my 'new' Horizont (it is a 1972 model). As you can see I have a light leak. If anyone knows of a UK service person, please let me know. More (and bigger) images on my Flickr website:http://www.flickr.com/photos/31364196@N04/sets/72157627336743231/with/6055162889/

Thanks, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had to search in google to find out about this camera you speak of Wink It's easy to do seals yourself before sending off for service.......and was there any particular reason you do not like doing film panos this way?

http://forum.mflenses.com/doing-panos-with-film-shots-t41790.html

Last edited by Excalibur on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool shots! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean stitching multiple images together in software? I have in the past and if needed will again, it is no great shakes. Having the Horizont makes me think about taking panoramic images in a way that I wouldn't otherwise, and besides it is fun! I spend so much of my life in front of a computer that using older film cameras and minimizing computer time is a good thing in my eyes.

Thanks, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
You mean stitching multiple images together in software? I have in the past and if needed will again, it is no great shakes. Having the Horizont makes me think about taking panoramic images in a way that I wouldn't otherwise, and besides it is fun! I spend so much of my life in front of a computer that using older film cameras and minimizing computer time is a good thing in my eyes.

Thanks, Kris.

Ah! Well it's all about enjoying what you are doing Cool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Ah! Well it's all about enjoying what you are doing Cool.

Absolutely! When I am taking photographs for work, out comes the K20D and the AF lenses...

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Challenging camera to use. Did you have a hard time setting up before taking a picture?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
Having the Horizont makes me think about taking panoramic images in a way that I wouldn't otherwise, and besides it is fun!

Absolutely! It is amazing how quickly your brain can adjust to a focal length and field of view... and after just a short while, you start "seeing" the world in that frame. Cool

Once you adjust to a panoramic camera, it can be quite annoying to go back to a "normal" camera! Laughing I think that the sweeping view is more "natural", more similar to the view we see with our eyes.

Have you seen this page?
http://web.ncf.ca/ac210/photography/horizont.html

By the way, the sheep picture is definitely the best of the set. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
Challenging camera to use. Did you have a hard time setting up before taking a picture?

It isn't too bad actually. The film is a bit fiddly to load, but not as bad as loading a Leica. Wink The camera has three shutter speeds and a range of apertures. I use a handheld meter to judge the exposure. The shutter speed is cool because the speed the camera takes the image remains the same. Instead, changing the shutter speed simply makes the slot behind the lens wider or narrower. There is a spirit level in the viewfinder to help you get the camera level in landscape view. You have to be careful not to get your fingers in the image if hand-holding the camera. It does come with a handle but mine is broken so I use an off camera flash bracket with the handle reversed downwards. I have also attached a cable release to it with cable ties. To be honest, one would be much better off using a tripod if you can, but on this occasion I was mainly wanting to finish a roll to make sure the camera is working OK. I'd also recommend using faster film than 100 so that you can keep the apertures small. The fixed focus lens is (obviously) much better if you can use f/11 or so.

Scheimpflug wrote:
Absolutely! It is amazing how quickly your brain can adjust to a focal length and field of view... and after just a short while, you start "seeing" the world in that frame.

Once you adjust to a panoramic camera, it can be quite annoying to go back to a "normal" camera! I think that the sweeping view is more "natural", more similar to the view we see with our eyes.

Have you seen this page?
http://web.ncf.ca/ac210/photography/horizont.html

It takes a little getting used to but I must admit I enjoyed it. The pictures that work best are the ones that have a near-far thing going for them, hence the need to keep the aperture low if possible.

Thanks for the web link.

Here is one more than Nesster likes:

Best wishes, Kris.