Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1957 Photography magazine ....22 pages
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: 1957 Photography magazine ....22 pages Reply with quote

Last edited by mo on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:51 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by mo on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by mo on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your work!

It is every time interesting how many German photo products were sold back then!
Too sad (for me) this changed that much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating! I was four years old in 1957, so all the stuff in those pages is all new to me. Besides, it's a British publication. I have some old Popular Photography magazines dating back to the 50s, which are also quite interesting, but I found this one particularly interesting because it's British and I'm from the USA. I've never bothered to learn the Brit's old style of money counting, but one thing is easy to see: even back in 1957, Leica cameras sold at a big premium compared to just about everything else. Oh, and seeing 35mm being referred to as "miniature" brought a smile. I guess, back in those days, 120, 620, and even 127, which were all larger than 35mm, were still much the norm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff - ! I remember gazing at all those things in camera shop windows as a schoolboy back in 1957.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought all these loose papers from a gentleman on ebay,I wish he had ripped out some of the articles.You are lucky Stephen to have seen these when they were all brand new Cool .Michael why don't you post up some of the US stuff?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mo,

In fact, these posts of yours are causing me to think about doing just that. Now, if I could only remember where I stashed all those old photo mags . . . Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can remember Laughing

Zone V,do you have any German magazines or camera/lens catalogs? I would love to see some of the old Praktica catalogs,Exakta catalogs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you Mo! I was aged 10 when this was published, just when I was beginning my interest in photography. It brought
back many memories. This is in the days when I was using a Kodak Brownie 127 and dreaming of owning an SLR.

I don't remember the fish glue though! Sounds yucky. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably being printed the day I was born.

Westminster were doing a great deal on the Weston Master lll. I like the bit in the blurb where it says:

"The new model is right up to date with the latest light value scale; its film speed range has been extended to 5000 Weston, insuring against obsolescence for many years to come".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!

The 50s and the 60s must have been a thrilling time for a photographer.
Equipment started to become comapct and affordable.
And you were one of a few. Not like today when everybody with a cell phone is also a photographer!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Zone V,do you have any German magazines or camera/lens catalogs? I would love to see some of the old Praktica catalogs,Exakta catalogs.

No sorry :-/
I started to be interested in photography ~1987. And it seems old camera catalogs are regarded as rubbish back in the 1950/1960 years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating, I shall study those more carefully tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have a good list from which I can find cameras of my birth year

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks it brings back memories.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valuable stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I've a few more to my collection thanks to this information.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I have a stack of old Popular Photography magazines dating from the early to the late 1950s. But I'll be dinged if I can find it now. I've looked everywhere it is easy to look for them. Any further searching will require moving heavy boxes and stuff that I don't feel like doing right now. But I will find them, and when I do, I will post interesting excepts from them.

I tell you what I wish I would have kept is all the Modern Photography magazines I bought during the 1980s. Easily over a hundred. And almost every one would have had an MP lens test or two, which nowadays has perhaps even more significance than they did when first published -- at least for us mf users.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Axel Poignant was surely a nom-de-plume, but no, he actually existed.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/poignant-harald-emil-axel-15467

http://tinyurl.com/axel-poignant-images