Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135mm lens comparison, infinity images added
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of those 4: CZJ.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

I have been thinking back and looking at my images, and the number of times that I used a 135mm lens at infinity was negligible.
I would be interested in knowing how many photographers actually do shoot such a lens at infinity.

cbass wrote:

If you look at the standard lens test you would think they only shoot at infinity.
In reality it's a mixed bag.

IMHO it does make sense to do such comparisons hence most lenses suffer most at infinity. At least that's my experience that many lenses which provide sufficient quality to provide sharp pictures for portraits or comparable situations totally fail at infinity landscape situations.

But I agree, if somebody doesn't use 135mm for landscapes such tests are neglible. On the other hand, if a lens is good enough for landscapes it will be more than likely that it will also provide excellent results in other situations.

I do a lot of landscape photography and consider 135mm quite important, sometimes even much longer focal lengths.

A typical example shot recently. Landscape at 200mm:

Consequently, edge to edge sharpness is of utmost importance for me. For typical portrait shooters this may be a different story.....

BTW, my optimal 135mm lens is the good old Leitz Elmar M 135/4, haven't seen any better lens yet and I've tested many (incl. the CZJ shown in this thread).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

I have been thinking back and looking at my images, and the number of times that I used a 135mm lens at infinity was negligible.
I would be interested in knowing how many photographers actually do shoot such a lens at infinity.

cbass wrote:

If you look at the standard lens test you would think they only shoot at infinity.
In reality it's a mixed bag.

IMHO it does make sense to do such comparisons hence most lenses suffer most at infinity. At least that's my experience that many lenses which provide sufficient quality to provide sharp pictures for portraits or comparable situations totally fail at infinity landscape situations.

But I agree, if somebody doesn't use 135mm for landscapes such tests are neglible. On the other hand, if a lens is good enough for landscapes it will be more than likely that it will also provide excellent results in other situations.

I do a lot of landscape photography and consider 135mm quite important, sometimes even much longer focal lengths.

A typical example shot recently. Landscape at 200mm:

Consequently, edge to edge sharpness is of utmost importance for me. For typical portrait shooters this may be a different story.....

BTW, my optimal 135mm lens is the good old Leitz Elmar M 135/4, haven't seen any better lens yet and I've tested many (incl. the CZJ shown in this thread).

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the Elmar. Certainly worth looking into!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest last iteration of Minolta MD 135 2,8 5 elements canon FD 3,5 and Jupiter 37a.