Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

120 slide mounting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: 120 slide mounting Reply with quote

I've now received the first roll of Velvia 50 x 120 back from the lab, nicely cut into strips and slotted into a clear plastic pockets, not mounted. I can't do any decent scans yet or project them as they're not mounted. Looking at the film with a magnifying glass the shots look nice and sharp, but about half seem to be about 1 -2 stops underexposed. This roll was a test of the camera's shutter speeds and meter, so I was half-expecting this sort of result. I'll be making a separate post about meters shortly.

The question I wanted to ask now is about slide mounting. I can't find a lab that will mount the 120 slides - they all seem to do 35mm slide-mounting but processing-only of 120 film. I found where I can buy 120 slide mounts to do it myself, but is this normal or does anyone know a lab (pref in UK) who will mount 120 slides?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they look underexposed at your magnifying glass, they will look perfect in projection.

-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 120 slide mounting Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
does anyone know a lab (pref in UK) who will mount 120 slides?

no?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY Peter?

http://www.photomart.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCatalogue=8677SLID&CatID=6

Orio's correct too about your slides looking underexposed - once you project them, they'll look great. I regularly underexposed my slide film by around 1/2 to 3/4 stop for more punch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. It looks like DIY then. Thanks for the link, they're a little cheaper than the one I found. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peter: First off, congratulations of getting the slides all processed and ready to mount!

I've been using a 120 slide projector and mounting my own for quite a long time. I've tried all the mounts (glass, double-glass, cardboard) and found that the plastic is the easiest and best-performing.

I keep a limited number on hand (somewhere around 75 or so), and then just exchange with new images when I'm done looking at the current "crop" of images. It's easy enough that I don't really worry about the time it takes to swap them out.

You don't really need the glass to "flatten" the transparency. There can certainly be a period of "buckling" when the slide first contacts the high heat in the projector, but I simply warm them up first and that helps tremendously. Maybe they STILL buckle a little, I don't know, but for my eyes and viewing they are marvelous just the way they are.

I agree on the underexposed slides being just fine for projecting.

Peter, what projector are you using?

Also, if you ever get a chance try some black and white transparencies from dr5. Wow!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Hello Peter: First off, congratulations of getting the slides all processed and ready to mount!

I've been using a 120 slide projector and mounting my own for quite a long time. I've tried all the mounts (glass, double-glass, cardboard) and found that the plastic is the easiest and best-performing.

I keep a limited number on hand (somewhere around 75 or so), and then just exchange with new images when I'm done looking at the current "crop" of images. It's easy enough that I don't really worry about the time it takes to swap them out.

You don't really need the glass to "flatten" the transparency. There can certainly be a period of "buckling" when the slide first contacts the high heat in the projector, but I simply warm them up first and that helps tremendously. Maybe they STILL buckle a little, I don't know, but for my eyes and viewing they are marvelous just the way they are.

I agree on the underexposed slides being just fine for projecting.

Peter, what projector are you using?

Also, if you ever get a chance try some black and white transparencies from dr5. Wow!

Larry

Thanks Laurence, and thank you for the tips too. (My middle name is Laurence, by the way, it was my father's name. Everyone called him Laurie, not Larry).

I don't have a MF projector yet but I do intend buying one, after I've bought the scanner that is! I've been watching a few on Ebay. What make would you recommend? The ones I've seen are Aldis and Gnome, both single loading and quite old, probably 1950's I would think. Is there a more modern make? - I'd prefer not to be stuck with an extinct type of lamp.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the Bausch and Lomb Balomatic 755. This was after considerable research and also I was able to get "first hand" opinions from two owners.

I will post, tomorrow, an image of the projector, as well as the description of the projector, in my user's manual to give you a better idea of the configuration.

I purchased mine for $75 three years ago. Lamps are readily available.